Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Train Haul

Part II

 Left you dangling, didn't I?! The reason was I had a story to tell and the story and photos would make the post way too long. I do like to tell a tale.

Johanna and I made one last yard sale stop before breakfast around 9am. She recognized the family selling and they had a lot of items up for grabs. I was still searching for wooden toys for Nate and of course, anything  else I liked, when I spotted these 3 boxes filled with Thomas the Train stuff. Hmmm. Nate is lettting his big cousin Hugh borrow a train table until Nate is old enough to use it...3 years from now. I have an attic....storage is not an issue and I know this stuff can be expensive when starting out. So I called Brenna to ask if this is something she and Robbie would be interested in. Yes, was the answer but what is the price? So I asked the price. $80 for the 3boxes. Brenna declined saying that was probably a great price given the volume of items but out of their price range right now. I walked away regretfully.

Johanna bought a few wooden puzzles and other things and then we left after chatting to the family. We enjoyed our breakfast and catching up with each other's lives and headed home. Our path home led right past the sale. I noted the boxes of train stuff was still there. And then my brain went there. I brain stormed with Johanna and she turned the car around. 

My approach was, "I don't want to insult you with offering half your asking price but...I only have $40, it's for my 6 month old grandson, and it will all go up in the attic for a couple of years, so I know I don't want to pay more than that right now." That is about all I had left in my wallet and the morning was winding down...they still had a lot of things on their front yard to sell. When the couple heard I was buying for Nate and not buying it for resell, they agreed to my offer and helped me load it all in the car. 

Boxes pre sorting. Note, the clear plastic bin is the extra large kind
So here is a close up on the boxes and bin filled with all things train.

   

I started to lay out the larger pieces And yes, I do know the stuff doesn't belong on top of the roundhouse! I just was trying to fit in the shot.

  

Included was this rolled up laminated landscape mat. It goes on top of the train table and then the child (and parents) lay out the train on it.


 There is a case that was included. Brenna came over Sunday to go through the loot and sort it all.
Pictured below are just some of the cars and engines.


This is a another carrying case. 


See,  it opens up and holds more train engines and cars! However, it is a pain to get those pieces in the slots; no 2 or 3 year old could do it by themselves so I would say don't buy this unless the design has changed.


And then we found this Little Engine That Could complete train set. It has been discontinued and no longer made. I love that book and this was a special find. 

Above is a stock photo of the train
And here is our train set, I mean, Nate's train set!
As Brenna sorted, she found duplicates and we set them aside for Hugh. All these are duplicates.
Amazing to have so many! There were 3 boys in the family so that would account for duplicates and so many pieces. No fighting over the Thomas train in that family!


These go to Hugh's collection

 In my research I found there are recalls on some of the trains. We still need to determine if some of ours are included. The problem was in 2005-2007 some were made in China and contained lead in the paint. The company will send another to you if you have one in the recall. As we sorted it all out on the floor,  we put aside any questionable pieces. 

So that is the train haul. It has been stored away in bins up in the attic, awaiting Nate to grow up a little more. Not sure who will be more excited to play with them,  he or his mother! Brenna was over the moon as we sorted and she recognized the pieces. Apparently she babysat boys who had these toys and she loved setting them up. 

Hope you  enjoyed the account of the big score. And trust me, it is! As I searched Ebay and found the larger pieces and prices, I was amazed. See. It pays to go to yard sales! And to ask for a lower price! 
Until next week, happy bargain hunting!


Thrifty Christy


0 comments: