Translate

Monday, February 27, 2012

No Vacancy

There was no room for another passenger in the car after I clambered into the co-pilot seat of Johanna's small SUV Saturday morning. Babs was joined by our guest rider in the back seat, her sister, Mary Kay. Mary Kay was visiting from Michigan this week for Uncle Tim's surgery. Tim is Bab's and Mary Kay's brother, Johanna's uncle. He will be in the hospital for more than 2 weeks recovering from surgery. It will be a very long recovery process and Johanna and Babs have a lot on their plate as they are there for Tim.


Saturday morning was a break from hospital, stress, lack of sleep...all that goes with major health crisis in a family. Oh! I forgot to mention Sophie the Schnauzer was in between Babs and Mary Kay in the back seat! I just love that dog.


February is always a slow month for yard sales and Saturday proved the case. Fortunately there were no 6am sales listed so we all "slept in". Unfortunately 2 sales were no shows as the sellers weren't open for business. How disappointing. One was a storage unit sale and the ad sounded promising: "something for everyone" but as the buyers' cars circled the unit, it remained locked tight. We didn't stick around for long, it was later in the morning and the gals needed to get home and off to the hospital.






I found a few items at an indoor church rummage sale. My sister Cee had a free standing potty chair on her want list. I spotted this one as soon as I entered the room and seized it immediately. Safety 1st Potty n' Step Stool is in excellent condition and retail price is about $20. Now I didn't want to walk around the room carrying a potty chair so I asked if I could store it under the check-out person's table

Then I continued on scanning the tables. It wasn't a large sale, the room was small and though the tables were filled, it was mostly items I had no interest in. However, I do buy toiletry items at yard sales so I picked up a hair spray bottle, brand new, and what I thought was a pressed powder jar. Then I found a Pampered Chef scraper and popped that into my extra bag. I find these very handy cleaning up my Pampered Chef stoneware casserole dish and any other baked on mess.


I couldn't pass up the Frog puppet, new with tag. I will see if Brenna wants that for her classroom and if not, then it goes into the Grand-baby box.


Babs, Johanna, and Mary Kay found a few things but the quality of goods was just mediocre. I went to the check-out to pay up and was quite happy with my total. The potty chair was $3 (least I had seen in Consignment shop was $10) and the other items added up to $2. Total $5.
The other part of this story is when I showed the makeup container to Babs, she immediately identified it as a brand she uses and finds on QVC. This one isn't a pressed powder, it is an illuminator by Phlosophy. Hmmm. Not sure what I want to illuminate on my visage but after I googled it I find it sells for $33 and the reviews were by and large favorable. We shall see. If you notice that I seem to be glowing more than ususal, we shall chalk it up to my "Illuminator"! So far, no one has commented. Jury still out! However, the hairspray works great and I figured I spent about 50cents on it.


At another yard sale I picked up a bag of used rafia which I neglected to take a photo of. This is something else my sister Cee had put on her want list but she didnt' mention used rafia. This large paper bag wth handles was filled with raffia strips I think was used for decorating baskets, filling some container with filler. Anyway, for $1, I took a chance. After describing the purchase with my dear sister, she ok'd the purchase. Fortunately she has a decorator's gene which I don't possess!


And that my dear friends was it for the yard sale goods this weekend. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to March and Spring time with more sales and greater choices. These lean months are....lean!


Good Will finds this week:

Brand new 24oz Tervis Tumbler with lid and straw for 99cts. These generally retail for 14.95 without lid and straw and they are great for keeping liquids cool and hot. I generally use them for cold liquids.
Also a Gap short trench coat for $7. Nice fit and my old one had bit the dust. Once again, stylish, thrifty and now "illuminated"!!
Have a great week and I will check back after the sales next weekend.


Thrifty Christy






 

2 comments:

night shade said...

we paid full price for a tumbler just like that! Oh, may I add large wooden knitting needles to my need list. I use them for weeding.

Unknown said...

Vickie, aka Nightshade, I will commence looking for large wooden knitting needles. Anything to help your garden grow!