Translate

Monday, July 2, 2012

Hot Time in July

I am still in the glow of "grandma-hood". My grandson Nate was born this past Monday, June 25th; it has been a fun and wonderful week! I have been able to spend nights at my daughter Brenna and son-in-law, Robbie's home since I have been off from work having cut our vacation time to come back for Nate's arrival. Nate and I hang out while Mom and Dad get some much needed sleep in the wee hours of the morning. Fortunately for me, Nate was quick to go back to sleep last night and I didn't find it hard to get up and get on the road at 5:45 to make the first of 3 6am yard sales.

My daughter Ellie had planned on "trying" to come along with me since she is moving into a rental house this week and wanted to find some furniture. But the early bird was me and she slept in.  It is hard to get up on a Saturday morning when you work all week. I was on my own.

Last year I noticed the umbrella stroller at the Merriewold summer house was hard to push my great niece on the rocky dirt roads. Did I file that away and look for a suitable stroller at yard sales during this year to take up with me? No. Only when I arrived and saw the old one did it click. So yesterday I spotted this nice on and picked it up for $7. Funny thing is it is the same brand and model I bought earlier this year for my Grandma stash for Nate visits. Mine came with a shade, this one is missing that. I paid $5 for mine. But this will do nicely and we will replace the older model with this. Just needs a quick wash and will be ready for little one. Or so I thought! When I showed it to Brenna, she asked to buy it from me for Robbie's mom to use at her house. So the two grandmothers have matching strollers! How funny is that! Now the hunt continues for a replacement stroller for up north.



I also picked up another pack and play at the same sale for my sister Cee. She has given me funds for a friend's daughter who needs some baby items. Still looking for a jogging stroller and a high chair. I didn't take a picture of the pack and play. It was $15 without a zippered cover but in great condition. Nothing fancy, just functional.

I bought 2 of these shades for $1...total! That's 50cents a shade! I know I have a shade "problem" but just couldn't help myself.
The pattern is not swirly like the picture above. The picture below is much better. The flash at night made this one kind of swirly.

I felt much better about the shade purchase when I showed them to Brenna. She immediately expressed an interest. I replaced the shade she and Robbie didn't like on the lamp below with one of my purchases and voila! Looks great. Old shade goes to Goodwill and the extra one???? Hmmm, not sure about that one. Will probably stash in the attic with the others. #I'msobad!



Still building my Grandmother library so I bought these for 50cnts each. All but the Petunia book are board books and interactive. I think Petunia is a hoot and felt compelled to add her to my collection


I like cardigan sweaters and when you make it blue paisley....love it! It was $1, fits, and was brand new. 
Washed it when I came home and now I have to wait for the 100 degree temps to subside.
 It is very light weight but not enough for summertime use! Bonus is the brand. Jones New York has proved to me a good quality brand.


The glass below is one of 6 I purchased for 50cents each. I should have bought the rest, 8 total but didn't. The glasses are a nice ice tea size (for us Southerners reference) and a heavy weight. I immediately pulled my mismatched ones oout of the cabinet and will be doing a Goodwill run tomorrow. I like 'em! 

Should have bought 8 instead of six....what was I thinking?

Same sale I purchased a queen sheet set for $3. The photo below is not great, the colors are brighter than this. I had just taken the sheets out of the dryer and decided not to take a pic of the whole set. These will go to the Merriewold summer house. I have added so many layers of memory foam to the downstairs mattress, the old set can't go over the mattress now! These have deeper pockets so should accomidate the pad issue.

Queen sheet, part of the set for $3
Brenna called me Sunday morning to tell me about a yard sale posted on Facebook and the ad had mentioned a jogging stroller. That is an item on my list from Cee. I skedaddled (literally) accross town to get to the sale only to find the stroller was priced $50.00. No way. and it doesn't fold. So no thank you to the stroller but yes to the storage cube with brown canvas box on the top shelf for $4. Ellie needs something like this for her house and after I called to verify yes, she wants it, I put it in the car.


The seller had lots of baby boy things, nice yes, but prices were waaayy too high for a yard sale. As in, $5 for a name brand onesie. But I did purchase this bag containing 2 cute hats and mitts for gulp, $1.50. Well, I had come that far and Nate could use some mitts. Colors were so cute, couldn't resist.

Enjoying finding Nate stuff!
Tile cutter


Why did I buy a tile cutter? Maybe I am compulsive and couldn't resist the $2 price. And also because 
I would like to tile the backsplash in my kitchen and this may come in handy. 
We shall see. For $2, hopefully I will be glad I bought it.

And folks that concludes this past weekend's finds. Will be out again next weekend hunting. Hope you found some bargain treasures of your own. Have a great week.

Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

NCSteve said...

You rock!

Unknown said...

Thanks Steve! Glad you read my post!