Translate

Sunday, September 30, 2012

With a Roll of Thunder

The forecast predicted rain later in the afternoon and early evening so Babs, Johanna, Sophie the Schnauser and I started our day at 0'dark thirty (6:15am) in the car and on our way with list in hand and high spirits. Flashlights in hand (and in my case, on head) we headed across town to the first sale with a 6:30 start time.
Priced at $4...I didn't even negotiate!
There I found this Brinkman's head lamp. That was the only item I bought there. My sister Vickie (aka Nightshade: you may remember from early posts my sisters and I refer to each other with our "flower names") had admired my headlamp. I promised I would keep an eye out for one for her. I like this one better than mine so I will give her my original and keep this one for my ownself. The reason I prefer this one is because there is a swivel mechanism so you can adjust the angle of the lamp. A feature most helpful when one is looking down at wares at 0'dark thirty! So Vickie, aka, Nightshade, I will send my headlamp to you this week.
25 cent board book for BeauI love the touch and feel books for little ones.
Moving on to the next sale down the street, we were grateful for the lightening sky. These folks had a lot of stuff, furniture, clothes, toys; let's just call it a plethora(I just like saying that word) of goods. As I looked at the table of toys, the seller called out "all toys are 25 cents". She had my attention!

75 cent for the lot. Love it!
So I nabbed these wooden puzzles for my friend and fellow grandma Suzan's "grandma stash". She had asked me to find some toys for when her year old grandaughter comes to visit. Here is the start of her collection.

50 cents for the two. Yes!
For my great nephew Beau, I picked up this truck and stacking ring set. I apologize for the drunken look of the little fellow in the driver's seat! When you press on the seat, it makes a sound of the dumper unloading. Fun! Trucks and stacking toys are on Lindsey's wish list for Beau so these fit the bill.
I am sure this would have been more than 25 cents in the gift shop.
"Thrifty Christy", you may ask, "why did you buy a Niagra Falls mug"! The answer: for my daughter Ellie who recently traveled to New York. She was in the Buffolo area and had only a couple of hours free to visit the Falls on the American side. So....I figured she didn't have time to stop in the gift shop or even thought do so. Now Ellie will have a nice mug to remember a landmark she saw. You just never know what you'll find a sale! And buyers, you never know what will sell!
Isn't she pretty?! Now both of my daughters have been to Niagra Falls.
Now I will just have to learn how to photoshop the mug in her right hand!

And then came a roll of thunder, raindrops spitting from the sky. Oh no!! We hastily paid our money and ran to the car. The sprinkle became a steady rain. We forged on hoping the other sales would be at homes with garages and some were but the rain came as a surprise to sellers. Their garages were full of other stuff so the piles of hastily dragged in goods were damp and unappealing to me and my companions. We called it a day after a couple more stops, the rain steadily pouring. Breakfast was early and the hot coffee was most welcome since with the precipitation came a drop in temperature. Another reason to shop with friends at the yard sales...we had enjoyed a lively conversation at breakfast. Disappointment of a short shopping excursion but a delightful end of the morning.

So ends another Saturdaymorns blog post, dear readers. I have already checked next weekend's forcast and it promises to be clear of precipitation. Fingers crossed there will be more sales and plenty of merchandise. Hope your bargain hunting was better than mine this weekend!




Thrifty Christy


2 comments:

Nightshade said...

You were reading my mind about the headlamp! Sat. morn. I remembered I still need one. Sister ESP is alive and well.

Unknown said...

Nightshade, I was so happy when I found the headlamp. When you asked me to keep an eye out for another one for you, I remembered thinking, no way will that happen! The beauty of yard sales...you will be surprised by what you find! Will ship out tomorrow and take the cost off your "account".