Translate

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Saturday, August 13, Early bird...

Johanna was not feeling well this morning so I was on my own. Sales started at O'dark thirty and I found  
goodies for Hugh and some for me as well. The morning felt cooler, less humid and just was so nice stepping outside and not feeling like being in a sauna. A welcome difference. The sellers seem to appreciate the cooler temps, everyone was a little nicer, smiled more; just a nice way to start the day.
I tried out the Yard Sale Treasure Map site for the first time and like it alot! I reccommend using it. 
You enter in your home address and the site identifies yardsales listed in your area on Craigslist. But we all know of there are more ways to find yardsales. So the site offers a way to add other sales. I do that by going to my local paper online, find yard sales in the classified section and copy/paste addresses of the ones nearest to me and also ones from neighborhoods I like. You may find sales listed on bulletin boards at work or virtual bulletin boards.  Once you plug in those sales into the "page" you have created,  the site will make an itinerary for you. But since some sales start earlier than others, you have the ability to move the addresses in the order you want. Then you print and go. I like the way your final product is detailed  directions from one sale to the next in the order you have set up. Sometimes I think I know where a sale is located, know the neighborhood somewhat, and then can't easily find the street. Now some would use a GPS to deal with this but I don't have one....yet. So at present, this tool is very useful.

Click the link on my blog and discover the joys of Treasure Map yardsale!
A young friend of mine, Hilary who is a  mother of a 5 month olds precious boy, Waylon,  gave me $20 to find a high chair for her. The first 6am sale listed had a high chair in the description so I had high hopes. I was disappointed when I saw it however. It looked dated and dingy, the padded seat cover torn in a couple of spots. So this brings me to my thoughts on buying childrens items at yard sales. I love finding used items that are in great shape or nearly new. That makes it a bargain, because you will get possible years of use out of them, especially if the item is for a first child. So if it is not is really top notch shape, I won't buy, no matter how low the price. So no high chair for Hilary/Waylon this time.

Great German made trike for $4. It cleaned up beautifully. I loved it because
the wheels are so fat, the trike low to the ground making it a very stable bike. The yellow carryall in the back tips back.
Looking forward to seeing Hugh tear down the sidewalk at my brother's house (Grandpa) in a few months. At 16 months, Hugh is not quite ready but when he is,  I can't wait!


Dansko for me! These are sooo comfortable! My daughter Brenna has embraced Dansko and knockoff Dansko as a teacher who is on her feet all day. I tried these on and fell in love! The scuffs cleaned up nicely and for $8, I feel I found a bargain. Yes, the original price was $10 but the seller graciously came down. You just have to ask.

More toys for Hugh. Slide $5 and goal $3. Slide stays at "Grandpa's and goal came home to Hugh's. The goal is adjustable which I didn't know until I took it apart to get in my car. 
$1 for the lot! I will take on the Mission Trip next year. We always need more paint supplies so I am starting a stash.
Of course, I may need to use on my own place first, but still will take on the trip.


So though I was lonely,  I really prefer going with my friends,  I was thrilled with my goodies. The real trick was loading them  into my car,  Honda Civic! Fortunately the back seat folds down making it possible to get all in. Thank goodness!
I was traveling to Morehead City that morning after "shopping' to visit my brother, Sonny, Hugh's grandfather. I wanted to bring the items I had found from the past two weeks for Hugh and Baby Boy in waiting.  However, I was still driving the Civic and needed to load the Step 2 wagon from last week, as well as the trike, slide and basketball goal. It took some maneuvering, but guess what? It fit!!!
I wish I had taken a picture of the loaded car cause it was funny, but just take my word for it. When Sonny helped me unload my car, I had visions of Mary Poppins pulling things out of her carpet bag!

Hugh and I enjoying the wagon after an afternoon at the beach.

0 comments: