Translate

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chill in the air

Oooh! Fall was definitely in the air Saturday morning. I actually shivered and for this woman who is a "hot mama" (hot flashes), I am not complaining. Since Brenna was game to go with me again, in less than a month, I can no longer tease about Once in a Blue Moon when mentioning her presence. Johanna and Babs were conducting their own yard sale on Saturday so were absent from the hunt. Sure hope they did ok. 

The listings were many in the paper and on Craigslist and I had high hopes I would find the coat and snowsuit for Hugh, toys for Waylon and clothes for Mindy's little girl. And maybe find something for myself! There were several listed at 6am so headlight was needed and used.

 I found several items for me at one sale and this couple were ready to get rid of their things CHEAP! The stuff below totaled $2.25!! I actually argued to make it more, at least $3 but she held her ground and gave me back change. 
I have been looking for the Off clip-on bug repellent for blueberry picking in NY next summer...this year the mosquitos were voracious but I am too thrifty to buy retail. These averaged around $9 this summer. I do knit and love Homespun brand which generally run about $5 each. Can always use an extra umbrella and this one is brand new. Of course I am always looking for painting supplies for the Mission Trip in July so these two unused rollers were great. Needless to say, I was very pleased with this haul! Seriously, $2.25!
All for $2.25

Found these size 2 Robeez shoes for Baby Nephew due in Dec. at a Mothers of Multiples Sale for $1 as well as the little slippers with animal heads. Too cute. And the heads rattle!! :) 
stylish Robeez!
Yes, they came in original box


Infantino baby slippers-$1
Unfortunately at every sale, it was all infant type stuff for sale so nothing on Hugh's list or Mindy's. But at the Multiples sale I did find this wooden car for Waylon for $1. Hilary asked for me to look for wooden toys for the little guy. I also found the most awesome wooden toy with doors, shaped blocks, so neat for $1. Brenna took a picture but can't find her camera connector so I don't have a picture. I forgot my camera again so I was counting on her to take those pictures. I will post it later because it was  quite a find. 
beep beep! for $1
At the same sale I found Waylon's toy, I also bought books for Mindy's little girl for 50 cents each. Love Mercer Meyer books and the Dr. Suess below were all hardbacks and beautiful condition. The Curious George book was also a hardback. I think they will enjoy these. 
Mercer Meyer paperbacks

Dr. Seuss hardbacks

Classic Curious George and what little girl doesn't like Beauty and the Beast!

Didn't find items for Hugh or pants for Mindy's daughter. Brenna found some treasures and took pictures at her house to send to me....but, no connector. Hoping she will locate it. Of course, the real lesson is for me to put my camera in the yard sale bag so I don't leave home without! 
Left for Morehead City to visit my brother that morning and on the way there I remembered two friends with daughters who may have pants Mindy's daughter could have. Made phone calls and sure enough, hand me downs were found. I am grateful for Becky Goetz and her box of 4t pants for $5! I still am looking for size 10 sneakers and fingers crossed Saturday will the end of that search. 


Yard sales, Goodwill and consignment shops are places I find great deals. Kelley had ordered long sleeve onsies for Hugh online but when they arrived, all way too big. She asked me to look for 18 mos.  long and short sleeved onsies at yard sales until he grew into the new ones. I checked out Once Upon a Child, a shop in Greenville that is a resale place. Lucky me! Boys 18mos onsies were on sale, special deal....15 for $10! I sent them to Kelley the next day. I looked at the reciept and they were 67 cents each!  Now that is a bargain! Now the little guy will be warm and his tummy unexposed this winter. That's what Great Aunties do for these precious nephews who happen to live relatively close by. Wishing the other "great" nieces and nephews were closer.


So those are the finds this past Saturday morn. Johanna is going to Busch Gardens Saturday morning and I will miss her. But my friend Carolyn Morris said she will come along with me and I am looking forward to spending time with her. I have a new list from my employer for a jogging stroller and a pack n play (I think I have lost count of how many pack and plays I have bought in the last year!) and a few dog training items. 
Lots of sales listed on Craigslist and the paper so I have high hopes. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

melissalucy said...

Oh Christina how i wish we were closer!!!! I feel as though I am with you on your jaunts!! So glad to have you as a friend!! Enjoy the season!! love, melissa

Unknown said...

I wish we were closer too...would love to have you along anytime!