Translate

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Keep driving

O'dark thirty was quite foggy this morning. I was delighted to see Babs and Sophie in the back of Johanna's car; the 4 Musketeers on our adventures.
Yes, spring is here, the yard sales have picked up in numbers but the last 3 weeks have been marred with rainy Friday afternoons and evenings. This puts a damper (pun intended) on people having yard sales. Dry weather makes for more sales. I am hoping the weather will cooperate for the next month or 10. The sales were a little on the dismal side, the best one as far as quality of merchandise was one we actually missed the first go round. The fog was pretty thick and we didn't see the sign in the dark.
I am pausing here to give some advise. If you are having a yard sale, sign are important! The majority of the signs today were limp from the fog, the sprinkling rain of the night before and were flopping over making the information on them virtually impossible to see. Either get up extra early and put your signs up the morning of your sale or use a foam board or other very sturdy material the night before. If no one can find your sale, well....
So as I said previously, the sales were disappointing and we had several drive-bys. Babs and Johanna found some craft items for their crafting group. I found a few child related goods but nothing spectacular, just helpful and of course, yard sale prices are the way to find "helpful".
These blue interlocking foam mats are for my grandson Nate (due to arrive in July). Four for $2. They are soft but firm, perfect for putting him on the floor for tummy time. I have to admit I didn't see the use for them but Johanna pointed them out and suggested I get them for Nate. I saw her point and picked them up. They are quite large, 24 inches square. Brenna gets 2 and I will keep 2.
4 squares(24 inch diameter) for $2
At the same sale I found this large Noah and the Ark puzzle for our church's Sunday School 4 year old class. The director is a friend of mine and had asked a while ago to look for toys for this age group with a religious theme. I think this fits the bill.

Missing the cd and activity book
There were 2 more large puzzle boxes I picked up for my great nephew's birthday. The brand Melissa and Doug is good and the pieces and boxes were in near new condition. Prices for both were $4 each and the Noah's Ark was $3. The seller said let's make an even $10. Ok!
There is a lady who has a garage sale every 3-4 months; she at some time in the past had a flea market stand. So her prices vary, depending on what I don't know. So I saw this Homedics sound machine Kelley uses for Hugh when he sleeps, creating white noise. It was marked $10. Too high for me.
So I asked if she would take $5. Completely ignoring me, she starts a conversation with another buyer so I put it down and walked away. Later, I priced it online and new it sells for $20 at Walmart. It was not new. This is a stock photo I found online since I didn't take a picture of it there. $5 would have been a reasonable price. $10, not yard sale price worthy. I will keep looking.
The last sale we found by accident was a fund raiser for Relay For Life, a local American Cancer Society event. This group has had a yard sale in the same spot for the past 2 years and their prices have always been very reasonable. My niece Kelley had asked me to look for a toddler bed for Hugh. She wants one to keep at her dad's house for Hugh to nap in. At this sale there was a crib that converts to a toddler bed and also a full size head board for $100, mattress included.
One I bought wasn't assembled
found this under images. Similar color and style
The least I have seen listed on Craigslist was $40 and I had no luck getting that one. I gave them my number and asked if it doesn't sell, please call me and I would buy it for $40. Later that day, I received a phone call and I went to pick it up in my Civic. Unfortunately the headboard/back piece didn't fit. Fortunately they had a truck and offered to take it to my house which wasn't too far away (2 miles). We had agreed on $30 when I arrived but I gave them $40 since they delivered and also because what a great charity to donate to. They hadn't had much traffic since they missed the cutoff for ad in paper and didn't think to use Craigslist. And their sign was barely visible because the rain had washed away most of the writing. I just hope Kelley likes it and Hugh sleeps well in it. This picture is not the actual crib, it similar in color. It converts by removing the front piece making it a toddler/daybed.


Thrift Store Finds of the Week

While in Beaufort, NC, this week, I stopped in a Historic Restoration thrift store on a whim or as Jeff Foxworthy calls a "sensuous moment....since you was there you might as well go in". They wanted to clear out the winter things to make room for spring and summer so all clothing and shoes were 50cent each. I was told this as I was holding a pair of Merrell brand shoes (women's slides), a pair of Columbia brand women's hiking shoes, and a Women's XS North Face plush fleece jacket, all mint condition! Yes, the total came to $1.70!
Both pair of shoes were 6 1/2, too small for me but my daughter's size. The jacket I bought for a friend of mine's daughter who I knew would appreciate it very much. If none of the recipients liked the offerings, I planned on selling it on Ebay. Well, my daughter likes the slides (forgot to take a picture before giving them to her but the hiking shoes... not so much. Not a hiker. Those will go on Ebay.
Columbia hiking shoes. 

Waiting for the jacket's might be recipient to get back in town to try it on. My daughter Ellie has also expressed an interest in that jacket so we shall see who will be the lucky one. Spring is here but we also know we can have a cold snap before Winter is finally over. So whoever gets the jacket may still get to wear it this season.
That's it for now. Have a great week and catch you next Saturday and maybe I will see you at the Sales.
Thrifty Christy




0 comments: