Translate

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Inside Out

Let's see, last week I overslept and almost ran out of gas first thing in the morning. Today as I climbed into the co-pilot's seat, and was chatting it up with Babs and Johanna, Babs interrupted me. "I believe your shirt is on inside-out". In the back seat with Sophie the Schnauzer, Babs had caught sight of the tag in back of my shirt. Being 0'dark thirty and no one else on the highway, I swiftly "changed" that condition and was soon sorted out. Babs, Johanna and Sophie took the quick change without batting an eyelash. Gosh, I love my friends.
So after that minor blip, we continued on the hunt. First stop was a church sale (we love them for the most reasonable prices) starting at 6am. Doors opened soon after we arrived and we weren't too far back in line. An over exuberant shopper pushed past us and I thought, lady, slow down, it's going to be ok! This is not Survivor! There was more merchandise than last year's (thank goodness) but not as much as I had hoped since this is a rather Large church. Babs and Johanna found a few items but not me. Had to take a picture of this froggy tent/sunshade marked $20. It was huge! I suppose it would be very handy at the beach if you have small children and stayed a long time but all I could think of was the awkwardness of schlepping it around. Rather ungainly. No, I only took a picture. Didn't purchase.

Across town we headed for a two family sale. Here we just missed Brenna and her friend Brenda. They both found some good deals here(Brenna had called just as we arrived and reported in). Lots of new born-6month baby things but since Brenna had already shopped I figured she had found all she needed so I didn't look too closely. Almost picked up a Scrabble Junior game for my friend Becky who had sent me a text the night before asking for a Scrabble board game. Not quite 7am, I am not calling her to ask if she wanted kids or adult version. $2 I declined not being sure. Glad I did because later on that afternoon I asked her and the adult version is what she wants.
Again, Babs and Johanna found a couple of things but me, nada. On to a neighborhood yard sale. There were only a handful of houses participating(I was disappointed with the small number). First one was great. there we caught up with the two B's (Brenna and Brenda) who were heading to the next sale down the street.
It appeared to me a little girl's store threw up all over their driveway. Boxes of clothes, toys, STUFF galore. Too much stuff for one child. In my opinion. However, I did find a box with a large number of children's paperback series Junie B Jones, First Grader. I thought maybe Lindsey (my niece is a 1st grade teacher) might like them. They looked pretty good so I asked the husband who had just announced to the shoppers "we want to get rid of this stuff, what we don't sell, we're taking to GoodWill. We are priced to sell". Ok! Sounds good to me. So I inquire about how much the books would be. I am thinking 10cents each. He says 25cents or 5 for $1. I counter with "how about 10 for $1? He said no, his wife would "kill him" if he went that low. So I kept digging down and counted 21 books. Picked them all up and headed to the wife. "how much" I asked her. $2 was her answer. Yay!!! Goes to show, don't always give up! If Lindsey doesn't need them I will donate to a first grade teacher's give away shelf. I just want children to read!
I also spotted a Skippy John Jones book (the first) and showed it to Johanna. She has been looking for one since my enthusiastic description of the one I found. I know she will enjoy as will her granddaughters when she reads to them.
Babs and Johanna were delighted to only pay $1 for a nice size pile of material for the crafting group. Beautiful patterns and very nice quality cloth. Made me wish I could sew.
I found a box of very nice thank you cards for my sister Vickie. She only wants "good ones" now. These were a little upscale and I paid $1 for them. Hope she will be pleased.
And guess what? That is it for my purchases! Can you believe? Just not much I needed or was on anyone's wish list. And that's how it goes sometimes. Babs and Johanna and the others found treasures and I enjoy vicariously in their finds.
Later we all met at our usual breakfast spot and shared stories of our finds, remarked on the people we encountered, and laughed a lot. Loved every minute of the morning. To me, breakfast and conversations are the cherry on top of our Saturday morns.
Brenda was quite happy with finding 7-8 really nice scrub tops and a couple scrub bottoms which cost her around $5. Did not get pics of those.

Here are pics of Brenna's finds and her descriptions:

All of the baby books are "board books" and in like-newcondition...already wiped clean with Clorox wipes! :o) 25 cents apiece... yay!!

Kindergarten reader books $2 for the 6 (more than I wanted to pay,

but I liked them and need the more advanced books...)

Foam/soft blocks...set was $3 Sound machine $3

*Note: this is the same type of sound machine I had looked at last week(remember readers???) which I stepped away from with a price of $10. Glad Brenna found the better deal.



Vest and red shirt (will be used as maternity) 50 cents each

2 crib sheets $1 for both. Baby sleeper gowns 50 cents each (I took a picture of all the "fabric baby stuff" and then unfolded one of the gowns to show you what they look like

And last but not least the WubbaNub. This came new in box. Brenna paid $3 for it and didn't blink an eye at the asking price. She says this little pacifier gadget is pretty useful. I must say during breakfast, we older ladies had a blast teasing her with the discription she gave. The real test will be how Nathan likes it! Here is the picture from Amazon and also the link with info. The blue horse featured on Amazon is the same one Brenna found.

http://www.amazon.com/WubbaNub-WN22103-Wubbanub-Blue-Pony/dp/B001GBJOK4









Looks like my grandson Nathan(due in July) will be comforatbly outfitted. His dresser is very slowly being filled. Having fun with baby things and not paying retail!!!!!

GoodWill finds:

No treasures at the thrifts this week. However the North Face jacket has found a home with a very happy 13 year old and Ellie was seen sporting those blue Merrells this week. Rats! Forgot to take a picture!
Will be out again next weekend. So stay tuned for further adventures. Over and out and no longer Inside Out!


Thrifty Christy


 

4 comments:

Nightshade said...

Oh please find a Skippy John #1 for me! I've been first on the libray request list for more than 6 months. Their copy is lost/stolen and much as I like the library I don't want to pay full price for a new one that I'll read then donate.

Unknown said...

Nightshade, aka Vickie, I will be happy to look for a Skippy John Jones book for you.

Anonymous said...

I loved this I could just picture all of you sitting laughing over your finds. I wish I were in nc to go too. I also wish I had the gumption to haul my butt out of bed that early. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Ps the previous note was from Beth