Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Curve ball

    Well, I did go to Pinehurst and I did go to a couple of yard sales this past weekend. The pictures of the mega sale are below and yes, I know there is ALOT of STUFF there, but nothing I saw sang to me or was needed. 
     I picked up some children's hardback book for 50 cents each. 2 of those have found a home in my daughter's kindergarten classroom, Curious George and the First Day of School and the first Curious George. Both were in excellent condition. But seriously, that was all! 
     There were 3 Tom Clark gnomes that I considered purchasing but at $3 each, I walked away. Glad I did. When I checked out his work on Ebay, the gnomes just aren't selling. They don't appeal to me at all but other gnome figures do. His work is a little too dark for me. I like happy gnomes.

     
    The weekend was a mixed bag for us. We had a great time at the wedding on Friday afternoon, my husband loved his golfing experience, and we were able to have breakfast and visit with my husband's cousin, Christie who lives near Pinehurst.
     But we were also worried about our 12 year old beagle Abby who had been acting differently lately with appetite decrease and no enthusiasm for walks. Just becoming more slow and though we hoped it was pain related and the new pain meds were administered, she just wasn't rebounding.
     When we came home Saturday afternoon, we really assessed her and realized it was time to say goodbye to our dear girl. Our wonderful veterinarian concurred and Sunday after family members said their farewells, and even Johanna and her daughter, Brianne, stopped by to pet her one last time, we gave her the final gift owners can give; a painless, peaceful passing.

Abby at 1year old with her best friend, Wylie, the greyhound mix.
(notice who has Wylie's bone between her paws!}
She was born outside in a pen but Abby quickly adjusted to life indoors with cushions and pillows! Picture taken at age 2

     We now know it was liver cancer and feel very much affirmed our decision was the best. These dogs can be so stoic and we will never really know how much pain and discomfort they tolerate. I hope we didn't extend it too much. It is hard to make that call but as a pet owner, I loved her too much to make her stay any longer than she had to.
     So that was our weekend and now as we get used to a slightly smaller household, I look forward to seeing what next weekend holds. It is a holiday weekend. You never know how that will affect the number of sales. But the weather promises to be nice and after I search for treasures, I am off for Morehead to spend Saturday and Sunday with my brother and his family. Can't wait to see my great nephews Hugh and Beau and their parents too.


Until next time, happy bargain hunting and may the sales be with you!

Thrifty Christy


0 comments: