Translate

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memorial weekend

{A quick note. I wrote this and then didn't get around to posting it. Busy week and so on. So here is last week's post today and I will have this weekend's post tomorrow. I promise!}Happy Memorial weekend everyone. There was not a gracious plenty of sales today, but enough to get out there and not sleep in. Holiday weekends are iffy when it comes to yard sales. You never know if people are more ready to use their time to have fun or make some money and sell. This weekend there were sellers! Johanna and Babs had other tasks to do but Brenna, my daughter, was ready and willing to join me. Our deal is I will drive across town to her place, allowing her critical extra sleep time, and she drives us around to the sales with her car that has more room in the back. My little Civic can hold only so much and this Saturday we definitely needed the space...more on that later.There were a couple of sales with 6am start times. We checked them out but nothing for us. That didn't take much time and left us with a 40 minute gap before the 7am's started. I wanted coffee and Brenna pregnant and drinking water needed to stop too! Sheetz nearby took care of our needs. Love its convenient location!Refreshed and refueled we set out again and this time we lucked out. Brenna found a great looking dresser for the room destined to become their office space. The price was $75. Too high. But it was perfect in every way: right color, new and didn't need any work which Robbie her husband really appreciated since he had been working on the changing table lately. Brenna asked if they would take $50. The gentleman said he didn't think his wife would come down in price but maybe $60. He waited for her to come out of the house and asked. Without missing a beat she replied "yes" to $50!

 

 

 

 

Brenna still was hesitant since it was more than we've paid for furniture at a yard sale so she checked in with Robbie. When you are used to $15-$20 deals, you get in that mindset. But, it was still early and they hadn't been open that long. As soon as Robbie heard "$50, new, and move in ready", he said "buy it"! It just fit in the back of her car with not much room to spare. Yay!





 

 

 

Off we went and hit a few more. Brenna snagged a pretty necklace for $1 which she gave to me (thank you!) and I found a couple of tassels for the lamps in my dining room that will tie into the colors of my rug and those plates I found a few weeks ago. I went online (Amazon) and bought these plate hangers. The plates hang flush on the walls and I like it better without those metal stretchy hangers. I think I have the pattern of how I want them on the wall and hope with Brenna's help to get them up soon. I promise to take a picture once they are up.


Along with the tassels, I picked up a roll of fishing line. Brenna had received round paper lanterns for Nate's room to hang from the ceiling and thought fishing line would be a good choice. The tassels and line cost me $1. Not having spent any money thus far except for coffee, I didn't even quibble.

At the last sale I screwed up. I saw a box of Christmas lights, white wires with palm size stars. Something my sister Fran had asked me to look for. Did I check the box thoroughly to make sure they were all the star type lights/decorations? No. I just saw what was on top and paid the $10. Only when I got back home did I realize there was only one set of the star lights and the rest were the white wire icicle lights. And there are a lot of them. Well worth the $10 if you are looking for white wire outdoor icicle Christmas lights. I was not. Sigh. I hate these lessons! So if any of my friends reading this in Greenville, need these types of lights, let me know! I know people use them for other decorating needs other than Christmas, outdoor parties and the like. I can give you a really good deal!


We finished up and headed for breakfast and then home. I helped Robbie bring the dresser inside; he was happy with the purchase. I ran upstairs to check out how Nate's room is coming together now that the crib is up, the changing table has beeen stained and in place and my mom's old white book case has been given a facelift. The room looks so sweet and happy. Just perfect to welcome a baby boy. Only 6 more weeks until the due date!


I headed off for Morehead City, NC to visit my brother Sonny for the rest of the long weekend...long for me since I have Monday off. I am looking forward to bike riding with Sonny, playing with his poodle, Precious, and seeing Sonny's family and grandchildren, Hugh and Beau. The weather looks iffy so I am hoping for rain at night and sunshine during play time. Fingers crossed.


{ok, so the weather was sunny and we had family time in the sand and salt water. My brother Sonny, his daughter Kelley and her son, Hugh are pictured below.}

Hope you all have a great weekend. I am thankful for this Memorial Day, and time with my extended family. Thank you, veterans for your service to our country.




Until next weekend, have a great week and happy bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy

 

 

 

0 comments: