Translate

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Trip, trip, tripping!

Hi everyone,

I was fortunate there were yard sales on Friday I was able to go to because Saturday turned out to be a bust.

I will start with Friday.

There were 2 sales I went to on Friday. I didn't find anything at the first which was a real disappointment. There were several items listed in the ad that someone asked me to look for. Only the pack and play was left by the time I arrived (10 minutes before the listed start time) and the price at $40 was too much. Not when I have bought so many for under $20.

I moved on to the next sale and had more luck there. This was an indoor/outdoor sale and I was grateful for the indoor part because it started at 4pm; the sun was beaming and the temp was 90 degrees. 

Inside I found 2 boxes of the Earth Healer compost tea. They were new and had the literature inside. I googled these later and it is made by monks in South Carolina. It contains dried compost tea containing chicken manure and other wonderful things. Comes in a large "tea bag" and you let it soak overnight in water. I filled a 5 gallon bucket and put the bag in it last night and this morning watered my potted plants. The instructions say to let the bag dry out and you can reuse it several times. I have great hopes for my plants!
If you are interested in finding these retail, here is the link I found online:



Next I found this window mount hummingbird feeder made by Wild Birds, Unlimited. It seems pretty sturdy and I like that the parts are easily cleaned. By the way, I have cleaned it all and it is now up in my window. I hope the hummers come soon! I checked the reviews out on Amazon.com and the majority was very positive. I like too that there is an Ant Moat the container of hummer food sits in. I have had problems with ants finding my food in the past.


Below is a picture of the feeder inserted into the oval ant moat. It is all held to the window by the 2 suction cup piece. Seems to be sturdy. I am just hoping other birds don't try to sit on it to drink the water in the moat!


Here is a picture of one mounted in a window I found in Google images. I liked this picture since it is bright and you can see the set up well.  They retail for $24.


The last thing I found there was this stemless wine glass. My husband doesn't drink wine and I enjoy a glass occasionally. I saw this one and picked it up for myself. Cute, isn't it?!

And that was it. Nothing else reached out and tugged my sleeve. So I paid $3.50 at the check out and went my merry way, thinking of all the sales I would go to on Saturday. So much for those happy thoughts.

Saturday morning I left the house with my yard sale bag, printed list of sales, times, and addresses at 5:45am. The first one was conveniently located a block from my house. How nice is that?!

Unfortunately I never even made it to the first table. Walking from my car, I tripped over an exposed piece of broken brickwork and fell face down into the soft dirt drive! Yes, a full face plant. Or rather a full nose plant. Don't ask me how my hands didn't come forward to break my fall because when I sat up, my hands were not dirty or scraped but the bridge of my nose was! My knees were scraped and bleeding as was my nose and I was shaken to say the least. Because the sale was much further from my accident site and cars blocked their view, no one saw my fall. I got back into my car and drove straight home where I cleaned up and started icing my knees and nose. Needless to say I was home for the rest of the day. Pretty sore and a little headachy but other than that, nothing broken, thank goodness. It could have been a lot worse. And yes, later on that wine glass came in handy!

Next Saturday Steve and I head for the Catskills of NY and 2 weeks of vacation. I plan on doing some yard sailing there as well so you will probably hear from me in a couple of weeks. Take care and happy bargain hunting.

Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

vee said...

Sorry, that happened to you! No fair ! Beautifully written. Was with you all the way. Last year also took a nutty spill. Must look hilarious now when walking (anywhere) crazy slow and trying so deliberately to pick up each foot. (Wish we could get new batteries for ourselves!) Wishing you and Steve a wonderful trip and a good time at M! (Is Dingle Daisys still down the road?) Love, G

Unknown said...

Ginny, thanks for the note and yes, from now on I will definitely be more conscious of my footing than what's up ahead at the sales! Yes, Dingle Daisy is still down the road...one my favorite street names. Last year summer we even went to a yard sale there; I blogged about that one too. Take care and thanks for dropping by.
Love, Chris