Translate

Monday, July 8, 2013

2 Months Later...

After a long absence from the blogosphere, I am back. No, nothing happened, nothing traumatic, no bad news. Just became caught up in life and as I have realized, blogging is a discipline for me. And once I get out of the routine of getting my pictures loaded and setting aside time to write, well, two months go by. However, just because I haven't been blogging, doesn't mean I have quit the yard sale scene. Oh no!!! It has been a busy and productive time lately with some great days indeed. I have sold a lot and found quite a few treasures for family and friends and myself as well. Too many to do one post so I shall endeavor to get at least a couple of posts in the next few days. Did I mention I am on vacation? No?! Well, we are in the Catskills again on our annual trip to Merriewold Park. This time we are staying a couple of weeks and now I have time to get back to the Thrifty Christy blog. So grab a cold beverage, sit back and enjoy.

One Saturday I was thrilled to have along with me, Johanna, Carolyn, and Johanna's daughter, Bri who is a sophomore in college. The yard sale list was long and we were hoping to find treasures. And we did! The car was PACKED when we finished for the day. One sale had so much to offer and the prices were fabulous. I ended up buying a lot of things to sell and made good profits because the items were priced so low and the quality was so good. I really wished I had a truck that day especially since there were larger items that just couldn't make it into Carolyn's trunk.
I have had great luck selling children's items so I keep an eye out for those when "shopping".
Truck puzzle: $1, Felt story board, $1, 3D wood puzzle: $1, Frog magnetic stand: $2
The truck puzzle and frog magnetic stand sold easily, the 3D puzzle went to grandson Nate and the felt-story board with farm items are in my daughter Brenna's kindergarten classroom.
Child's rocking chair: $2, Pottery Barn duck step stool: $3, Folding bookcase: $5, 12 section shoe storage, $2
I sold the rocking chair for $20, the step stool for $15, the bookcase for $20 and the storage unit for $15. Nice profit on all.
Convertible car seat: $15
This was an awesome deal! I had been considering buying a car seat to keep at my house for Nate, yes, another item for "Grandma's stash". Brenna recommended getting one that could be used up to the point he no longer needed one. So when I saw this one sitting in a driveway, I knew what to ask: Expiration date, is it rear and forward facing, and weight limit. This one met all of the criteria, I thought. I asked what price and the seller hemmed and hawed. She really didn't know what to ask for it. She also wasn't exactly sure if it was rear facing and said how about $20. I said would you take $15 since I wasn't sure weight limit and it needed some cleaning. Yes was the answer. And when I returned home, I learned it did meet Brenna's requirements for Nate and I had made an excellent purchase. In fact it was the same make and model she had found on Craigslist and one on the Facebook Online Yard Sale group. For $60 and $50. Now both mom and dad, Grandma and babysitter have their own carseats. We are set.

Wood peg puzzle: 50cents, Toy Story wood puzzle: 50cents, mailbox cover: $2, and xylophone/piano combo: 50 cents
The street puzzle went to Nate, the Toy Story puzzle sold for $5, I kept the mailbox cover for myself and the tiger xylophone/piano sold for $8.

Johanna's heads
Johanna picked these head forms for her Craft group to display hats they make and sell. I believe she bought the three for $5.
Wood peg puzzle: 50cents, Toy Story wood puzzle: 50cents, mailbox cover: $2, and xylophone/piano combo: 50 cents
One of my favorite purchases has been these Teva shoes I found for $5. New. Yay!! I have been on the lookout for anything similiar and grabbed these as soon as I layed eyes on them. I did help up the older lady I pushed over reaching for them. Nah, just kidding. No one was harmed in the acquisition of these shoes. They fit great and and very comfortable. The photo was taken the other day after I have been wearing the shoes here in the Catskills on my daily walks. So they aren't as new as they were a couple of months ago. The weather last week was rain, rain, and more rain so these were especially appreciated on the mudddy dirt roads. There's nothing like a great deal you really make use of. Love it!
Dansko shoes: $1
Another pair of shoes I found recently were these Dansko clogs. Not my size, not Brenna or Ellie's size so naturally I sold them! And they went FAST! Should have charged more, $30 was a great deal for anyone especially since they were in excellent condition, hardly any wear on the heels and not scuffing around the toe area. I always keep my eye out for this brand and a few others that are desired and I can profit from.
Bedside steps:$5
These steps with storage were a great deal and Brenna and Robbie are now the proud owners. I thought when Nate gets older, he could use them to climb up on their high bed. And I was right. It went home with them as soon as I showed it.
Pregnacy books: all for $4
And last but not least, more pregnancy books to donate to the Pregnancy Center. These were especially good since they are newer editions.They love seeing me come in with these for their free box.
And I am going to end here to keep this post from getting to long. I have more finds to share and will keep working on catching up. Take care and happy bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

night shade said...

I am SO happy you are blogging again. I missed your gleeful gloats and me wishing you were my personal shopper.

Unknown said...

"gleeful gloats"! What a wonderful description. I knew you would be glad to have me back blogging again. More to come! I have 3 in 3 days!