Translate

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Fast and the Furious


Today Johanna and I were on a time limit. We both had a retreat that began at 9am and when we saw the first sale started at 6am, we knew we had at least 2 1/2 hours to hit as many sales as possible. We also realized it would be a "power shop" day. No lingering, dithering, slow perusing,  backtracking, and hopefully, not too many wrong turns. I picked Johanna up at 5:45 and we were at the first sale which was up and running.  I found a beautiful shirt and the bike rack. The shirt fits great and it has met with Husband's approval. The bike rack I bought  for  $5 and will sell on Craigslist. I believe I can get at least $20 for it. It is absolute in pristine condition; was never used.  

I bought the step stool and Johanna discovered a set of brand new towels. The stool is in shrink wrap, never opened and I will be selling it on Craigslist. Johanna's towels were also brand new, beautiful quality (8 washcloths, 10 hand towels, and 7 bath towels for $15); she plans on giving these as Christmas presents. We were off to a good start.

After the first sale, I realized I had left my camera behind so no shots of the actual sales today. But really, there weren't any exceptional sights. We did go to one where the family seemed to be selling almost  everything in the house. I have never seen so much for sale in one house sale. It started in the garage and ran through the downstairs. Not much furniture, but the furniture they were selling was REALLY nice! Ond upholseterd chair was marked $50 and wow, if I only had the spot for it! Now is when I wish I had the camera! 


I bought the vintage tray from England, circa 1950, the candles, Lenox Christmas ornament (Nativity scene), brand new extra large white tablecloth, chef's knife, 2 large towels $1 each for Veterinary clinic,  a new 10 inch lamp harp, 75 cents. I like to have lamp harps handy when I need to change shades. I used the last extra tall harp for my mom's old lamp Ellie inherited. It needed a new shade....and a harp adjustment.

Tray $2, candles each 25 cents including the box set of scented votives,   and Lenox Nativity ornament, 10 cents

Johanna noticed the Christmas ornaments were only 10cents and swiftly picked up these Willow Tree angels, and other ornaments. the pink round thing is a set of coasters in the original unopened package and all the items are in a clear acrylic organizer I believe she paid 50cents for.



Johanna's additional stash from the big sale: electric candle warmer, 50 cents, candle 25 cents and cute glittery turtle for 25 cents. the turtle is flat and can be hung on a wall.


We took a short cut through a subdivision and when we thought we had taken a wrong turn, there were 2 yard sales next to each other. Serendipity! I bought this small pet bed for the Vet. clinic. They use this kind to wrap the kitties or small dogs in during recovery. Very soft and easy to wash. 
Now you just need a dog who can read!
Pet bed $1


Johanna picked up 2 ceramic dog dishes(50 cents each) and  2 litter box filters (25 cents each)


Books each 50cents
I found quite a few wonderful, hardback books today. Some are old favorites and some I haven't read before. All is excellent condition and a real bargain at 50cents each. I will let Brenna go through and she will be able to determine which would be good for her Kindergarten class and Lindsey's 1st grade.

So as I am driving to what became the last sale of the day, I mentioned to Johanna I was on the lookout for  a cake holder for Brenna. The one she had bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago had broken a couple of weeks ago at my house. The dropper of said pedestal cake holder will remain nameless, but rest assured it wasn't yours truely! So what is the first thing Johanna notices as we walk up? A cake holder in the orginal box! I eagerly walked up to check it out and was taken aback by the $15 price tag. Ouch! 

Ready for punch!

Ready for cake!


 So then I notice the great pack and play with changing area and cradle attachments. $20. I am dithering on this one. It is the nicest I have seen. 



And yes, I bought it. I will ask my niece, Lindsey if her mom may want this for her own house when she keeps the baby for Lindsey and Jon when Lindsey goes back to work. If not, I will probably store in the attic for a grandchild, when one happens to appear in our lives. I was quite impressed at how deftly and quickly  the husband/father took it down, showing me how the attachments come apart and how to pack it up and put in the bag ( I did check the play yard online later this afternoon and learned there was a recall on this model.  the cradle apparently is the culprit and I have written the company for the retrofit strap that will make this safe.)

The wife/mother came out as we were heading to the car and I mentioned the cake pan. She ended up selling  it to me for $8 and also pointed out that it can convert to a punch bowl by turning the top upside down (see above picture). I think Brenna will like it.
And folks, that was literally took the last of  my money. I had been looking for wintery clothes for Hugh but no luck.

 So we called an end to the sale morning and headed back to my place for breakfast and a shower for me. Johanna had wisely taken her shower before I picked her up so was ready for the retreat which took place conveniently across the street from my home. Was nice to have time to accomplish those tasks without too much hurry and I liked that Johnna left her stuff in my car so I could photograph later today. Most of the time I can only take photos of my own loot in detail, not hers. I also liked smelling her candle...it was a hot day and it had partially melted in my car. Thankfully, it was in a glass container!

Hope your week is fabulous and safe. Next week I will be headed for Morehead City to visit my brother so will check out the sales down there.
Keep in touch!












1 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I sure like thrifty gals. Thanks for following my blog, I appreciate your time very much!