Translate

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

{A note to those of you who receive these posts via email. The video I refer to in the previous post does not show up on the email version. You click the highlighted title of the post to see it. That will take you to the actual blog}

I was absolutely delighted yesterday morning to travel the roads of Pitt County, NC with Johanna, Babs and Sophie! The Gang of Four was together again! Whoot whoot! Sophie's little face was peering at me through the window when I came out at 0'dark thirty; what a great sight in the pre-dawn morning.

Sophie with her shy, over the shoulder look.
There were two sales listed for a 6am start so we headed to the one neighborhood which has usually offered nicer goods. Upscale and lots to offer was what the ad spoke to us. Imagine our disappointment when we pull up and the house is dark and not a creature is stirring. We put on our game face and hoped in 5 minutes a light would turn on and then the garage door 
would pull up but, no. None of the above. 
So we tucked away our disappointment and moved on to another just down the road. Here was the most organized sale I have ever been to. A lady and her mom who have been crafting for years were getting rid of stuff. The seller said she had been workig on this sale for 4 weeks because she hated going to sales that were messy! Well her efforts paid off when it came to being the best in organization. I only hope she made some $$$$! Not being crafty I left with a CD (White Christmas, one of my faves) and that was it. I looked around hoping to find something for the teachers in my life but the items for sale were in the sewing line. Somehow I missed the huge selection of dolls when I took pictures.  Not one item wasn't priced and if there was anything stained or missing a part, she had marked that next to the price. 

I had time to talk to her while Johanna and Babs were thoroughly looking through the goods. They, unlike myself, are quite crafty and Johanna is involved with a craft group who meets weekly. She called one lady to let her know about this sale! So I sat in one of the very comfortable chairs with Tweety Bird and some huge stuffed animal while I waited and talked to the seller. It was very early, still rather dark outside and nice and cool. Their place was tiny, her mom was in assisted living now, and just couldn't continue their sewing, doll clothes making, etc.. any longer. She did say there was another room filled with more stuff for projects they can work on. I felt crowded just thinking about it! This is a very small condo, lots of stuff...I would go crazy!

Anything and everything, and then more!

just the tip of the iceberg when it came to "kitchy". Trust me, there were more bookcases and tables filled with items.


Comfortable chairs lined the walkway at Craft Sale

Johanna's haul from Craft sale
After leaving the craft sale, we returned hopefully to "dark house" but no, still no signs of life. Always remember to set your alarm clocks!! We did hope it was just that and not a more serious reason the sale was cancelled. We dusted off our disappointment and hit several more sales. As always on a holiday weekend, the sales were pretty small and rather disappointing and several gave us the incentive to sanitize before we returned to the car. Over priced and dirty items are not a good combination. We did realize Irene's impact was long reaching, even to yardsales. I mean, really, when you have been without power for a few days, possible damage to your home, who wants to organize a sale?! 

When we were searching for one sale, I saw this hippo statuary and made Johanna stop and back up. This is something I have been looking for since my sister, Julie, passed away several years ago. She collected hippos and I have a small one on my kitchen window sill I greet each day. Julie loved the Potato Queen series by Jill Conner Brown and our other sisters enjoyed them just as much. There was one time Jill wrote about someone in her neighborhood who purchased a cement monkey statue and Jill was over the top jealous about this monkey. You have to read the bit to appreciate it but Julie and I laughed til we cried and or wet our pants when reading these books. So after Julie died, I thought, wow, I would love to have a cement hippo in my yard in memory of Julie. I haven't discussed this with my husband, Steve, but I just know he would be thrilled at the prospect. 
I plan to go back to the house sometime soon, maybe tomorrow, and find out where they bought that hippo. So here is a picture of the beast and my heart's desire. 


Isn't she just lovely? About two feet tall and so much to love! I can see her decorated for each holiday; even beads for Mardi Gras! headed to the new McDonalds for breakfast and chat. Was so good to be with my friends again! Sophie slept in the car, as always, patient and just happy to be with the Peeps.
Johanna's haul
Johanna bought this platter, $1, which goes with her dinnerware. The Mini tool box is her find too...50 cents.

Babs' loot

How politically incorrect is the subtitle?! Only a 1958 book could have that on the cover!!
Couldn't resist!

See, I told you I didn't find much! 



These are the books on the backside of the two books,  Flip and the Three Little Horses.  You turn the book over, and upside down and you have another book. Two in one...I like the vintage ones. And note, Veronica is a HIPPO!!

The hardback Junie B Jones will go to Lindsey's  1st grade, and the two other books, Flip/ Veronica, the Three Little Horses/I'm tired of Lions (copywrite 1958) will be saved for future grandkids. 
That's caught me up on the Saturday morn's activities. Hope you have a great week and I will check in again soon.




0 comments: