Translate

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Misty Moisty Morn

I started out mid week thrifting at Goodwill. I always stop in when I am dropping items off. I spotted this white, glass Fire King bowl circa 1950 for $1.69 and picked it up faster than a jack rabbit on a date. It is approximately 8 1/2 inches across and 6 inches deep. Nice little mixing bowl. I confess I love using items that have some history to them. Why, I don't know, but I just love the connection to another time and using a little piece of the past. Keeping as a "collection" doesn't work for me. I have a small house...need to be able to USE these things!

I also found this Feltman Brothers boys, 3 months size smocked one piece for $1.39. All baby clothes at Goodwill are that price. It is in immaculate condition and I will list it on Craigslist. Folks are bidding on these on Ebay so I hope Craigslist will do as well.

I hadn't checked the calendar but apparently Saturday was a Blue Moon since my daughter Brenna said she wanted to come along. Getting up so early on a Saturday is especially hard for her but I love it when she comes. Since Babs and Sophie were on board, we needed 2 cars. Brenna and I drove together and Johanna drove with Babs and Sophie. 
The morning promised to be a wash. A drizzly, misty rain falling made us doubt if any of the sales would be a go. But not one cancelled! All were located in garages or inside homes or an empty building. We were amazed. Each time we pulled up to a house we were gratified to see a garage and lights!

I found one childrens book, SkippyJon Jones and the Great Bean Caper. I didn't take a picture of it so the image below is from the internet. My copy is just the story book, does not have the teaching tools the one below has. I gave it to my sister Cee to read but said I wanted it back. It is hysterical! I have found a new wonderfully funny series of books. Cee called me today laughing and crying as she read excerps from it. I reminded her I want it back. 25 cents for the paperback...priceless to hear my sister laugh that way!

My friend, Carolyn, has been furnishing her beach house in wicker so I am always on the lookout for her. I picked this wastebasket up for $3. Needs spray painting and that is all. Well constructed and I think it will last for quite sometime. She said she had wanted one for a bedroom.


Hugh has asked for winter hats. So I found this polar fleece cap and matching mittens for $1. He was a real sport and modeled them for my blog pictures. Instant satisfacation for me!

This Body Glove Life Vest for infants is brand new, still has all tags attached. My great nephew soon to be born in December will get this for a baby shower gift. $3! Yay! Summer will be here before we know it! 


I bought 6 of these stocking hangers for 10cents each. I took a chance because my mantle is thick. Well, it was too thick for these. They work the same as purse hangers. I think I will use them to hang ornaments or decorations at Christmas. I can get creative!
Underneath the hangers are 3 large, almost softball size ball ornaments: 3 for 25cents. I already have several this size and larger I use for the outside tree decorations at Christmas. I used the nail polish for size reference, oh, yes, I bought that a yard sale a few months ago too:)


Soccer goalie gloves, brand new 50cents! Husband has already taken them to school for the team.


I found these two salt and pepper shaker sets at an estate sale...all for $1. I confess I have a thing for salt and pepper shakers. 


The following photos are of Brenna's amazing loot this Saturday. She had one of those whoo hoo yard sale experiences...the ones that keep us thrilled long after the Saturday morning has passed, and justifies getting up at 5:15am! Well, not everyone would look at the photos below and want to get up at 0'dark thirty but we Thrifters do!
She has her own blog which is really neat. Mostly to do with her teaching experiences, filled with great ideas and unlike her mom, she is definitely NOT craft challenged. Check her out:
http://sothentherewere2.blogspot.com/
She did blog about her yard sale experiences and all of these are featured in the latest post. I asked her to send me the pics since we wrapped up late and I needed to head off to visit my brother. So if you visit her blog, I apologize for the duplications.

Brenna's booty:

Brand new markers and binders 10cents and 25 cents
Lighted Christmas village all for $10. Brenna found these in one big box at an estate/yard sale. All were in original boxes marked $20- $34. She is off to a great start for her Christmas scened.

Purses were $1 each, vintage glass candlestick holders, 50cents, books (hardbacks) $1 each
All books were 25 cents! Great additions for her classroom
 I loved the Dick and Jane ones. 
 The snowmen and terra cotta pots were 25 cents each and she picked up 5 of the stocking hangers for 10cents.
Everything below she bought for $1.25! Total!  I am so proud! 2 Halloween doormats, a Halloween stencil, Easter doormat and a little Chrismas tree for the village scene.
I didn't bring my camera with me this time so I don't have any shots of Johanna and Babs' loot. Next time, I promise. Have a great week and wish me luck for the next time around. 



1 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Good thrifting day. I have to hit goodwill next week sometime. I always score something fun to take home.