Translate

Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Brake For Turtles

3 yard sales listed on a Friday? Talk about an early jump on the weekend thrifting! 2 sales started in the morning and one in the afternoon. Were these sales spectacular and I made out like a bandit on bargains? No. However I did find a couple of things I needed so I was satisfied.
We have 1 dog, Abby the beagle, and 2 grey tabby cats, Emmett and Prudence (Pru for short). When we go away for a weekend, we almost always take Abby, leaving the kitties behind. I knew I needed an extra litter box for the longer weekends we have coming up this month. Buying a new box was out of the question since I am "Thrifty Christy" so I figured I could pick up plastic storage box at GoodWill for a couple of dollars. No luck so far. So I was quite pleased to find a litter box for $1 at the afternoon sale.


$1
I also nabbed a closet hanger for pants. I liked this one since it appears to be unused or barely used, the clips snap closed tightly and there are several of them. I like garden flags. I have one for every season, holiday, occasion...you get it. So to store them I will use this pants rack. This way I don't have to fold them, and I can easily identify the one I want to hang out next. Doesn't take up much room in the spare closet either. The old one I have been using doesn't clip tightly so I am quite happy with the new arrangement.
This way the flags hang straight and no creases
It was just Brenna and myself at 0'dark thirty Saturday morning. Did I check the weather forecast ahead of time? No. Was I surprised to feel rain drops when I headed to the car? Yes. There were two 6am sales and by the time we made it to the second one, the raindrops were falling more steadily.
I picked up another litter box, this one with a top, for $2. I will now cease buying litter boxes, especially since this one actually had two bottoms. Didn't realize that until I took it out of Brenna's car. Sometimes you overlook things when it is dark out and you are getting rained on!
The last litter box I hope to acquire! $2
We now were looking at a more steady rainfall and it was only 6:30am. Brenna checked the weather on her smartphone and it looked like rain was here for most of the day. So we headed to breakfast and decided to call it quits.


On my way home I stopped at a school sale I knew would be indoors. Lots of items to look at but quality....not great. I did find a couple of footed sleepers for my grandson still incubating(!), a lovely green boiled wool jacket (have to wait til next year to appreciate this find), an unopened package of Little Swimmers disposable swim pants (lg size for great nephew Hugh) and 2 childrens' books. Total? $3. Oh yes!
Loving this green jacket!



Not a fan of disposable diapers but I do appreciate them when babies are in a pool.
And you know what I mean!
I was intriqued by one of the children's books I found. The original publishing date is 1906 in Germany. The title is The Story of the Root Children by Sibylle von Olfers. The sweetest story of children who sleep deep underground in the winter under the care of Mother Earth. In the spring she wakes them up and they are busy cleaning and painting the bugs and beetles, sewing flower dresses, and then play and enjoy the rest of the seasons. Whimsical and the illstrations are so sweet. This is a keeper for my grandchildren.If you can find a copy in your library, check it out!


That was it for the booty this weekend. Nothing spectacular but not unproductive. The kitties will be happy with more boxes to choose from, I enjoyed my one on one time with Brenna, and the rain is always beneficial.


Wait! I forgot! The title of my post bears explanation. On my way home from the last sale, I spotted a box turtle in the turning lane of a four lane road. Poor little thing didn't have a chance in getting across the road safely. Fortunately traffic was still fairly light so I was able to pull in behind it jump out and rescue. I went around the block, and put him where he would have ended up had he made it on his own(someone's yard). So I brake for turtles and yard sales. Just so you know.
Have a great week.
Thrifty Christy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know where I get the turtle thing...I don't think I ever actually witnessed you do this, but my husband yells at me each time he finds out that I stopped the car, turned around, and ran out in the middle of any given highway to rescue a turtle... ;o)

Unknown said...

Brenna, treasuring turtles has been instilled in you from not only me but your grandmother as well. I feel confident young Nathan will be raised the same way....save the turtles!!

Night Shade said...

that green shade is you!! And the turtle gene runs in the family. I think of our parents each time i set out melon rinds for our backyard box turtle.

Unknown said...

Night Shade, the jacket fits great and so light weight, I even wore it today. Yay! Didn't have to wait til winter!! And yes, the turtle gene. I remember Dad getting just as excited as Mom when the first one appeared in the backyard. good memories.