Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

One Stop Shop

Rainy Saturday morning means turning over and going back to sleep when the alarm sounds at 5:45! And that's what happened yesterday. 
However....
Last weekend Johanna, Brianne and I headed over to a dear friend's home to shop and visit. Beth and John have been living and working in Arizona for the past two years, have bought a house there and have decided to go ahead and sell their home here in Greenville. They're selling most of the contents of the house and had a yard sale yesterday so we knew we had to head over there to "support" Beth and John and even better, to have a chance to visit our friends.
And so we did. Beth even kindly provided coffee. Now that's a wonderful friend. She knew not to brew right away, since we wanted to start hunting asap. But after rifling through the offerings in the yard, the barn, and the house, I sat down to enjoy the cup of joe and a catch up with these two wonderful people. This is a very hot time to deal with sorting, boxing and going through your years of accumulated stuff. It's exhausting and I hope when they finish up here in a couple of weeks, they thoroughly enjoy a nice long break. They have sold a number of nicer things, canoes, kayaks, shop tools and furniture on Craigslist and the remainder of the wares were offered at the yard sale. I believe I paid them $40 for the lot and though I have posted several pictures here, there was much more that I didn't publish. 

Johanna and I just started making a pile of stuff and after finishing our search, chatting with Beth and John and then going back over the place to make sure we didn't miss any goodies, finally settled up and headed home after 3 hours. It was a one stop shop!
I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the trunk but trust me, it was packed.
Bulky items but tools are on the perpetual want list from my nephew, Jon, who runs a landscape business. These were all in good condition. Wasn't sure if he wanted a hoe, but, hey, he's getting one regardless.


I have needed a "new" recycling receptacle for a while and this will work just fine. It does have wheels, a must have for me to get to the curb. It is already half full.


This cooler is in wonderful condition, I would even say like new. Our other coolers are a little worse for wear after years of use so it is time for a change. And I like the color!


Yes, I know, another coffee pot. I left my other small one behind this summer at Merriewold. I found a replacement at Habitat For Humanity ReStore but alas, it is only a 4 cup and my coffee needs in the morning require enough for a to-go cup as well. This lovely pot brews 5 cups, just what I need. Ahhh. You know it's the little things that make your day start out right. And coffee is one of them for me.


So you may have read in earlier posts that we have been enjoying listening to vinyl these days. Beth and John had a nice size stack of records and I was pleased to see some Beatles albums and this Bruce Springsteen collection. Alas, although at first glance they all looked in great condition, all were warped. Sigh. Perhaps the house being unoccupied for two years and hot summers took the toll on the albums and the turntable which doesn't cue down onto the record. From my googling repairing turntables, it would require some more extensive repairs than I feel comfortable doing so these items are not usable. Yes, I know, I should have at least tested the turntable but we were having such fun talking!


What did work just fine was the airmattress with built in pump! Yay!! I took one up to Merriwold for "just in case" and somewhere in the attic there is another but I can't find it! So this one will stay downstairs where it can be accessed! The Spell-A-Bration blocks I have decided to sell. After thinking about it, I realized I am not going to be making use of these.

The booster cables are going to be placed in my car and at the ready. The stapler, well, I can always use a stapler. It's just one of those things you need to have at the ready.


I found the lantern at a yard sale on Friday and it's going to Carolyn, my friend who has been collecting these for her beach house.The color is more of a lime green. The fan goes to the Merriewold next year to live. We have enough here and I don't want to keep schlepping a fan up there each year.

I picked up lots of odds and ends at Beth and Johns: rolls of painters tape, a jar of nails, a pack of face masks, and a pack of bungee cords.
And last but not least is this over the doorway pull up/chin up bar. Unfortunately my doorframes are too wide. and it doesn't fit. I had visions of toning my upper arms. Sadness.


Oh, and I bought an electic pencil sharpener too for Brenna's classroom. She already has 2. So I listed it and someone is buying from me.

That's it for this weekend's finds. Hope you lucked out, braved the heat and found some treasures of your own. Johanna and I are off to Cape Lookout on Tuesday for our Cape Day. Fingers crossed for good weather and safe travels. We are looking forward to relaxing by the seaside.


Thrifty Christy

0 comments: