Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Watermelons? Really?!

The Gleeful Gloating begins!

Cloudy with a chance of rain was the forecast for this past Saturday but lo and behold, the air was crisp and clear, a lovely break from the heat and humidity lately. I stepped out of the house at 5:45am and breathed in the hint of Autumn. Aww, the tease! I was riding solo again and ready for some bargains. Last week I slept in because of rain; this weekend the promise of deals was dancing in my head and my fingers were crossed.
There were enough sales listed and a few pop ups too but there just wasn't much that struck my fancy or my price limits. Several were really nice, had quality items but the prices were just too high. I wasn't looking for drapery clip rings but the lady made me an offer that made me change my mind. They just come in handy sometimes. The last big batch I had went to Brenna's classroom. She needed them to hang the curtains she made. I need one set to take to my brother's house to hang up curtains in the guest room I use; no longer will I have to deal with the sun coming in right where I sleep. When I showed them to Brenna she asked for 2 packs for a project she has. I can afford to be generous.


$2.00 total for the 4

The Danskos are in like new condition, the treads on the sole barely scuffed. Asking price was $20. I knew they were Brenna's size and she loves this brand for teaching. I offered $10 the seller countered with $15 and I said yes. Even if they didn't work for Brenna there was still a good margin for profit if I sold them. They fit her and she's a happy teacher.


I discovered the wonders of good soap(last 3 times longer than regular bar soap) a couple of years ago and I snatch up any I can find at yard sales. I haven't seen any for a while and have used up my supply. This pack of four have a lovely scent and they were in a sealed box with the original $20.00 price tag on the bottom. Score!

$1

I have been searching for a wall clock for my kitchen since my pretty blue one fell and stopped working. I found myself glancing at the empty spot on the wall to check the time. It was getting annoying seeing the empty spot. Happily the spot is no longer vacant. Ta da!

$2!


I found a garden hose for $2 and didn't take a picture of that! But I did need it and it doesn't leak. Yay!
The last sale I stopped at was on the side of the road in a big open lot. What caught my eye was the watermelon display and tables filled with glassware. It looked intriguing. So I stopped. And bought a watermelon for $5. And let me tell you, it was a big one, locally grown. When my brother Sonny cut it open the next day, we each took a slice from the middle and closed our eyes in appreciation of the wonderful flavor. There is nothing like the taste of a good watermelon. Bliss.




Ok, back to the yard sale. There were several tables set up with alot of old glassware and poreclain pieces. Lots of old vintage pieces and if I sold stuff on Ebay I would have filled my car with a bunch of it. But I don't . So I admired the good stuff, vintage Japanese items like the momma cat and kittens ashtray below. They were missing the original bows that would have been tied at their necks; each had a little metal piece embedded where the ribbon would have gone through. Or that's what I think. It was just a neat item and so whimsical.


I liked this little fellow and almost took him home but I refrained. I just don't want to start collecting whatnots. So I admired him and took his picture.


Below is just one of the tables loaded with collectables. Most were dirty, dusty and obviously had been in storage, probably an old shed or barn. And no, I neglected to ask from whence it all came.


However, I did take home these six lovely hand embroidered Christmas stockings. New. They are all about 15 inches long from top to heel. One still had a price tag of $21.95. I paid $6 for all of them and since they are such quality items and I paid so little, I have decided to have our names embroidered. Brenna and Ellie picked out theirs and decided which one should be Nate's. Robbie picked out his and since Steve paid us no mind, we gave him the last unclaimed one.
Christmas in August!

$6 for all!

Well, that is all I found. It wasn't a big haul but one I was pleased with.
Oh, I almost forgot! A few weeks ago I found a Cars backpack I thought my great nephew Hugh would like. I finally was able to deliver the backpack this past Sunday. Hugh's baby sister, Julia, was going to be baptised, and I joined a few family members for the occasion. Hugh LOVED the backpack and once he was handed it, it never was far from his side. The lights were extra special. Aunt Teeny hit a home run!

.
Have a great week! Not sure what the Labor Day holiday will have in store for yard sales this weekend but trust me....I will check them out. Till then,
Happy Bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

nightshade said...

reference buying "knick knaks". Never buy anything you aren't eager to dust. Unless you plan to gift it!

Unknown said...

Isn't that the truth! And I hate to dust. So I don't regret leaving any of the nick knacks behind!