Translate

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Testing Testing

I found this sign thanks to Yard Sale Bloodbath posted on Facebook and had to share! Just too funny!

I'm combining last week and this past weekend since I was a real slacker last weekend and didn't post my finds. This past weekend Johanna and her daughter Brianne joined me in the hunt and believe me, I loved every minute of the companionship. Here is shot of their haul. Brianne is looking for Pound Puppies because apparently they have now reached "collectable" status. She plans to list them on Ebay. You go Girl!!
I found this small backback for Hugh. He loves Cars and especially Lightning McQueen. This actually lights up where the headlights are. I have created a monster! Kelley reported when Hugh (now 3!!) heard I was coming to visit, said "Oh, Aunt Teeny will bring me something from the yard sales"!! So....I will!
I found this North Face jacket combo for $2 a couple of months ago. Excellent condition. The plush fleece is the zipin if you need extra warmth but can be worn separately. Girl's size 7. I thought I would wait to sell it closer to fall but decided to test the waters. Bam. It sold in less than an hour for $30. Yay!!
Big mirror!! Just a few scratches that Old English furniture polish took care of. This replaces an older one I had that I didn't care for so much. Bought this one for $9!! And sold my old one for $15. Out with the old, in with the "new".
These Crocs will fit Beau next year. I wasn't sure his shoe size but for 50c I felt ok takinga chance
It is never too late to start planning for winter and frosty morns. We don't have a garage and I detest scraping my windows especially when I am running a little behind. I bought 2 of these (one for me and one for hubby) and paid $1 each. I will give you a review as soon as it gets cold. Please don't hold your breath.
Ok, hope springs eternal. My sister, Cee, loves and uses her food saver bunches. So when I saw this one in great condition for $10 I thought, "ah hah"! I made a quick call to make sure this was the brand she uses and it was. Her words of advice was "test it!" So I asked the seller to test it. After a long search inside the house, he found a small piece of the plastic stuff you use. It sealed beautifully but failed the vacuum test. But I remembered Cee had mentioned when the pieces get too small, they don't vacuum properly so I bought it for $5 hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. Googling the problem gave me two answers. Either it was dirty or old gaskets or not good....particles had gotten into the pump. The gaskets were cleaned and in good shape so that meant...pump. So bye bye food saver. Search continues. However now I have an extra bag in my yard sale bag to test in case I ever find another.
Yes, another lamp shade. But, hey, I think it will be perfect on the lamp I found in NY and left at Merriewold. Now I just have to wait a whole year to find out!
50 cents...they made me buy it!
This is for Nate next year. I think these are really cool and offer lots of creative playtime. Is it a seat, a helmet, something to hide stuff under, to turn over and sit on? We shall see what the little guy comes up with. Up in the attic it goes!
We found 12 of these hurricane vases for Brenna's wedding reception a few years ago on Craigslist for $5 each. Afterward, I gave Cee 3 and sold the rest to a wedding planner...for $8 each. But after the fact, Brenna mentioned wanting one. But there were no more. Until last weekend! This one is the same brand and size as the others. BIG!!! About 2 feet high. And....$5! Yay!
So my bad was not testing AT ALL on the electronic below. It was in the box, all wrapped up with the original packaging, had all the manuals and instructions and the seller said it worked great, just had gotten married and her husband had one too so they didn't need 2. And the price? $2.50. I was so excited. Upon returning home, I plugged it in and....no power. Nada. Nothing. No red light up. No Yay moment. I vow, I will never, ever buy anything without testing it. Before I pay!

This did work!! I replaced my older, uglier and not great radio reception under the cabinet cd/radio with this lovely new one! And it works great!!
And really, that's about it folks. Pickings were slim the last two weeks. Hope your bargain hunting was more productive than mine. Fingers crossed for this weekend.
Stay cool,

Thrifty Christy

1 comments:

nightshade said...

The North Face jacket is a great find. Not my size but for 1$ I would have purchased it for Winter clothing drive.