Translate

Monday, October 28, 2013

More and more!

Gleeful gloating goes on and on! 
September and October have been great months for yard sales. August was really slow but as soon as the temps came down people were inclined to set up and sell. Thank you Fall! I was really happy to have Johanna with me for most of those weekends and she came with me to Morehead for a second time at the begining of October. 
We learned of a big community wide sale at a subdivision in Morehead as well as a couple of other interesting sounding sales. So we left Friday night after work and drove to Morehead. We were up early to head across the bridge to Atlantic Beach to hit two sales there before heading to the community sale. All the places we went we found some great pieces and gifts for family members too (Christmas is getting closer!).
We learned at the community sale that older people there seem to value their stuff precious objects a great deal more than younger folks. We bought hardly anything from the retired sellers and much more from families with children. Go figure!
I picked up two of these new in the box converter boxes along with several other items at one sale for $10. I knew someone who wanted a box and I grabbed the other one because I knew I could probably sell it if my brother didn't need it. He didn't. So it sold very quickly for $25. This kind is only for the older model tv, not the new flat screen kind.

2 of these converters for approximately $4 each.

The palm sander was new and I bought it but came home and realized I had a perfectly good one already. Sigh. Impulse buy. I have it up for sale now. The Tonka "Chuck" truck and the house is for Nate when he's a little bit older. I chuckled when I saw the house, because my girls played with one exactly like it. The date on the back is 1984. Vintage! The shelf at the bottom is the one I showed you a couple of posts back. It was Pepto-bismol pink but only $1.50. So I lightly sanded it and painted it white. Sold it pretty quickly for $8. So not too bad.
Palm sander: $10. Truck and house were $2 each. Shelf was $1.50 original purchase. 

The soft leather Robeez shoes are for my little neice Julia. The  wood tool box will be one of Nate's Christmas presents. The earrings were for me but I didn't like the back of them; it is another long curve like the front. Kept scratching my neck. So I sold it for $12. The toiletries were each $1. I sold the Bed and Bath body sprays for $8 and kept the Este Lauder foundation and moisturizer as well as the Clinque moisturizer and Happy perfume.
Shoes: 50c, toiletries: $1 each, earrings: $1, Melissa and Doug tool box: $2

My sister Cee asked me to look for some more wood train stuff for her "Aunt Nee stash". The bag below was filled with Brio tracks and accessories. They should connect to the Thomas tracks I am letting her borrow.  Have fun Hugh and Aunt Nee!
I bought the wood shelf with towel rack for a buck. Took a while to sell and finally did but only for $5. Not much profit. 
Train track with accessories: $10. Wood shelf with towel rack: $1


I am always looking for yard tools for my nephew Jon. He has a landscaping business and goes through tools rather quickly. I purchased all of these for him and he was rather pleased Bought my first pick ax too.
The wood shape sorter goes to my almost 2 year old nephew, Beau. The magnetic puzzle at the bottom goes to my Grandma stash. Unfortunately my dog, Honey Bea, has a fondness for wood puzzle pieces and so now it is missing one at the bottom. Oh Honey Bea!



Wooden shape sorter: $2. Tools: $5 each. Puzzle: $1
I bought the easel below thinking I could use at my house for Nate. However, I decided it was too bulky for now in my small house. It cleaned up very well and I sold it quickly for $20.  


Easel: $5



Our neice Mary lives in New Orleans and started her first year of teaching in a new charter school. She has a class of second graders from a very poor area and they have a limited number of books. As you know, new books can be expensive especially for a new teacher. So I have been looking for books close to her grade level to send. I hit the mother lode! All the books below were $2 total! Initially they were asking 10 cents each but when I told them what I was going to do with them, the sellers said take as many as I want for $2! The stack of Junie B. Jones titles and the Magic Tree house paperbacks contain around 28 books. Good haul! I shipped them Media rate and with 20 lbs of books, it cost me aproximately $12 including tracking which was extra. Mary was delighted to recieve them and I am in the process of gathering another load I picked up last weekend and this past Saturday. 


Trunk shot of Johanna's car. I think we could have squeezed in more but we had enough! Oh, the red clock is mine. It replaced the black one I picked up a couple of months ago. So sad that one died. I really did like it. This one cost 75cents and it looks nice against my pale yellow wall. Fingers crossed it lasts a lot longer!




On Sunday morning Johanna, my brother Sonny, his son, Jon and I headed out at 0'dark thirty to go fishing. 
We caught a lot, threw back several and had a wonderful time. I did manage not to snag our lines on that buoy you see in the distance. Earlier, I got a little too close for comfort, forgetting about our troll lines. The ribbing continues!

Sun breaking the clouds early in the morning over Shackleford Banks


And here is my nephew, Jon, and my brother Sonny. I love fishing with these guys! Thanks Johanna for taking these pictures!

I managed to go to yard sales every weekend in September and October, well, maybe there was one I slept in! I am looking forward to this Saturday and the local Humane Society's rummage sale. Maybe I can find something fabulous for Honey Bea and Prudence the cat.  Rest assured, if I do, I will take pictures and fill you in on all the details!

Until next time, happy bargain hunting and have a great week!

Thrifty Christy

0 comments: