Translate

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Very O'dark Thirty

Yard sale at 5:30am!!! What? Yes, people occasionally will have a yard sale that early. And yes, Johanna and I have been known to check them out. Fortunately they are rare because we do like to "sleep in". This one proved to be worth our while and we hit the morning hard and early. Johanna's flashlight and my head lamp were needed as the sellers' were not adequately equipped for the dark.
Below is a trunk shot as we ended our morning. Lots of good stuff!


The truck is actually a ride on toy. It's for Nate, my grandson. The dump part can go back, allowing a child to sit on the blue part and ride, pushing. The handle in front can be used as well to push the truck around. Fun! There is also a Combi brand light weight stroller on top of the pile for my Grandma stash. It folds up easily. I like it.
Truck was $4 and stroller: $15

We love church sales. Period. No sentimental attachment to the items donated makes for bargain pricing. The church sale we hit this day was one where individual families had a space in the parking lot. So it was like going to 30 yard sales in one location. Oh yes! As soon as we arrived I spotted this "crab-pot" Christmas tree. Actually there were two. All lit up and looking wonderful. I asked the price and was shocked and happy with the answer of "$10 each" Whoohoo!!! I have been wanting one for several years. Johanna bought one and I bought the other. They fold up flat and fit in the back easily. Outside yard decoration for Christmas is good to go! I am ready for December.

2 of these 4ft. crab pot trees: $10 each

I picked up a couple of Willow Tree angels because I know my daughter Brenna likes them. I sold one and kept the other for her. There are lots of folks who collect this brand.

Willow tree angel: $3

My great nephew Hugh needed boots for the winter and I found all 3 of the footwear below for $1 each. The black and brown pair are Sperry brand and were in like new condition. Hugh got the black pair and the boots and I sold the brown Sperry's online. They were way too big for Hugh and his mom said she didn't want to have shoes on hold for a couple of years.

Shoes were $1 each and boots were $2

I picked up these two games for my sister Cee's "Auntie stash". I think Hugh will enjoy playing. Now if I can remember to give them to her! The items below were all bargains (of course!) The candles are for me, love the color) the mermaid bottle opener was $1 and made of cast iron. That sold easily! Pregnancy book goes to the free pile at the Pregnancy Center. The package on the top left contains clear acrylic corner protectors for tables. I put them on my coffee table to protect my grandson's head. My dog, Honey Bea promptly pulled each one off and chewed them. Nate has no protection and is on his own. And the last item is a set of furniture safety brackets to secure dressers or in my case a corner cabinet to the wall. Keeps little ones from pulling a piece of furniture on them when attempting to climb.
Games were $2 each, brackets: 50 cents, book: $1, 2 flashlights: $1 each, and mermaid bottle opener: $1

Brenna had asked me to look out for more wood puzzles and a box like the one below for Nate. The lacing beads are new and sealed in package and went to my friend Tere for her 3 year old granddaughter. The small 3 drawer plastic bin went to Brenna for classroom storage.

 Puzzles $1 each, tall wood lock/latch box $2. New wood bead kit, $3 and drawer storage $2
The wood blocks are for my grandma stash and are in mint condition. The pink rolling cart is for me to use when I hit more of these church yard sales and buy bulky stuff! I found it a grocery store in the clearance bin. and last is a close up of the furniture brackets I showed earlier.
Blocks were $3, Cart was $10 and Safety brackets were 50 cents

Lesson learned. I found this at the church sale for $3 and I snatched it up for Nate. It looked like a great, fun riding toy for him when he's a little older. I googled it when I came home and found out this particular model has been recalled. Children were tipping over the front and face planting, loosing teeth; not a good thing. So I had to get rid of it. I took to the dump after writing it was dangerous and had been recalled with a permanent marker. I don't want anyone pulling it.
That's it for now. More posts to come as I continue to play catch up from the past month!
Happy bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy


0 comments: