Translate

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Double Trouble

Greetings my virtual tagalongs!

Double trouble means 2 cars, 4 women and 2 dogs! Brenna was ready to hit the yard sale circuit and Babs and Johanna were headed to watch Johanna's granddaughter, Chloe, play soccer after a few sales. That meant Maddy, Johanna's dog, and Sophie, Bab's beloved sidekick, were also going to watch Chloe play. All that to tell you Brenna drove and I rode with her and Johanna and company followed behind. I made a second copy of the sale list and handed it to co-pilot Babs so we could all be on "the same page". Literally :)
Cool and 0'dark thirty it was with the first sale listed at 6am. I am really looking forward to a Saturday starting at 7am! The temp was 44 F, no wind, and nice and dry. Yesterday it rained all day so I was happy for that dry air. We headed eagerly to the first sale only to find no lights on, several cars with waiting customers and obviously no activity at the house. We waited hopefully for a while and then gave up and headed to the next one which was listed at 6:30am. Of course it was clear across town but at least it was ready for business.  We lost Johanna and Babs briefly since Johanna was following a car she thought was Brenna's all the way to the drive-thru at Krispy Kreme! Then she realized her mistake. Nice to have a cell phone to explain your mistake and solve our mystery of where is Babs and Johanna.

Brenna found a stand that she plans to hanging a Christmas ornament on. It could go  either on a table or on the floor. I found...nothing. Lots of things there and I was happy to have my headlight since it was quite dark and very little lighting...getting to be a regular occurance lately. I think Johanna and Babs found something but it was cold and I headed for the warmth of the car. The wind started to pick up. Brrrr. Next time I will have gloves in my yard sale bag! 

We headed out to more sales and though we kept getting seperated, we had the cell phones. J and B finally ran out of time and needed to get to the game so it was just Brenna and I.

There were lots of sales listed and we made most of them. A couple of drive-by's and one was so bad I wanted to take a picture but we felt it would really be rude. It was simply piles of clothes on blankets. That was all. Depressing, really.

By 9am it was cold, damp, windy and the need for coffee, breakfast, and a warm spot made the decision to call it a day an easy one. Breakfast with my daughter at Dunkin Donuts was delicious and very nice. Always good to catch up with each other and makes for a perfect way to end the morning. It is what I miss most about going solo. The visiting part at the end.  


I didn't find a great quanity of items, but am pleased with my booty.
And here is what we found today:
$2 Boon Bathtub toy keeper
I am thankful I was shopping with Brenna today, otherwise I would have walked right past this one. She explained it hangs in the bathroom shower/tub wall and holds bath toys. I thought ok, maybe Hugh could use something like this. For $2.00  I was willing to take a chance. No mildew, mold, or yucky stuff. Clean as whistle.
We actually saw another one for $3 at a sale later on that morning. When I came home, I googled it and found this image on Amazon.com describing this item. $29! It holds shampoo and baby wash, toys, and anything else you want to hang on the feet. The toy holder part( has a handle) detaches from the body to scoop up toys and then drains as it hangs. The reviews were really good so now I wish I had bought the other one and sold it on Craigslist.






                                                                   
                                               Here is the image I found on Amazon.com.
My fall wreath still needs some more color, zing, pizazz, etc. So I picked up these fall "picks" and bags of tiny pumpkins and squash for $1.25 for the lot. They were all new and unused, still with tags ($1.99 ea). The picks look great in the wreath and fill it out more. I am out of glue sticks so will have to wait to attach the "veggies". Will post a picture next time to show you. Remember, I am craft impaired so don't expect to be overwhelmed.  I do try on occasion.


At the same sale I bought the wreath items, I found this necklace, Chico brand. It looked pretty, chunky, and something I would wear. As I was looking at it, I noticed one bead wouldn't connect with the others. The strand was twisted somehow and the one bead wouldn't slide to the others. As I was playing with it the seller came over and explained she had tried to fix it but couldn't. Gave it to me for free! So later today I played around with it and finally untwisted the strands and all beads now slide freely.
 Free necklace. Sweet.
Ok, in this light it looks gold but it is silver. 

The strands are silver and the beads have silver and gold tones
choker length.

I also found these ornaments...25 cents each. The snowflakes are large, palm size with bits of glitter. Which I now have to vaccuum off my recliner, which by the way, I bought for $40 at a yard sale last year. LOVE IT!
Not Christmas yet....


Each one had a price tag...$10.95! EACH!
Snowmen make me happy!
He will be present long after Christmas.
Now for Brenna's booty. Below is a new frame in original box, best of Adam Sandler SNL dvd, pink shirt (made with wicking material for exercising) and, of course, ECU hat.

Frame: $2, dvd: 50c , hat: 50c, shirt: $1


Wreath, jug filled with  clear, colored beads, ornaments, sets of new coasters, sets of new notecards, and large clips from Staples, full. And if you look closely, one ornament is hanging on that hanger thingy...pillow is propped up against it. The jug is actually quite large. Her kindergarten class will be stringing the beads on pipe cleaners....making bracelets but also learning sorting, colors, and counting. 
Wreath: $1, Jug o'beads for classroom project:$2, coaster sets: 25c ea, notecards: 25c ea, ornaments: 25c ea., pillow: 50c, Staples clips, 25c    GREAT DEALS!
Gotta love a decorative pillow with a message:)
Brenna also found these two camo garments for Robbie. One is a pullover jacket (Mossy Oak brand) and the other is a lightweight windbreaker with a hood. Hope they fit Robbie. The sun is shining on the pullover which explains the color differation.

$5 for the pair. 

I was rather jealous of these big clips. Wish I had seen them first! 25cents!
That is it for today. It was cold, damp, cloudy and breezy. The coffee was soooo good at Dunkin Donuts and next time I will have gloves and hot coffee to go. These fall mornings are feeling rather wintry. If you aren't prepared, you are too cold to rummage and can miss some bargains. Today I probably did miss some good deals. The warm car beckoned me and my frosty fingers were not working too well.

Hope you have a great week. Next weekend I will be in Emerald Isle, NC for a baby shower for Lindsey. Baby Beau is due at the end of this month/early Dec. Another great nephew!!! I hope there will be some sales in the area cause I am arriving Friday night and ready to "shop" in the morning. Maybe Ellie, Brenna, and Melanie will join me. Suppose it depends on how late our night will be.

                                                                             Thrifty Christy 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't be shy! Leave comments, suggestions and hey, I even take requests!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you...the big camo jacket is made for bow-hunting season, and Robbie was VERY excited when I pulled it out of my bag. The hood fits all the way over his face as a mosquito net...the whole thing is light-weight because bow-hunting season starts early in the fall. :o) Not bad for $5!