Translate

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Short and Sweet


Hello virtual tag-a-longs!
I know I said last week I would sleep in and not go to any yard sales. However, I checked the listings and there were a couple near my house, starting at 7am. Sure enough, Saturday morning my eyes opened before my alarm went off, and though I tried to fall back asleep, I couldn't. So, off in the car I went.
1st sale I found this Melissa and Doug United States wood puzzle Kelley had put on the Want List. I had checked a resale shop, Once Upon a Child to check if they had this but all they had were new ones for $15. I picked this one up for $3. I grabbed it and then started putting the puzzle together since the pieces were jumbled. Oh dear. Not all the pieces were there. So I went back to the table I found it on and looked around. Checked the ground and there were the missing pieces! Yay! 
Melissa and Doug wooden puzzle $3

I also found a small soccer ball for $1 and picked that up too, thinking Hugh could always use another ball. Kelley was happy with that one too. Didn't get a picture but just imagine a miniture soccer ball!


 Next stop was a pop up sale. A "pop up" is what I call an unadvertized sale. This one was at a child care center. I think they were going out of business because it seemed almost everything was for sale. I should have grabbed my camera but didn't. I picked up these Mega Blocks for Hugh because I had read this type of toy is really good for toddlers. It was a big box with lots of blocks for $5. I saw something similiar in Walmart later for $30. Need to be cleaned and dunked in some bleach solution to sterilize but other than that they are ready for play.

I put the 2 liter coke bottle for a size comparison. 


Lots of cars and blocks to play with. Easy for little hands


Couldn't resist the Cobra MicroTalk 2 way radios with charger.
I lost my other 2 way radio and when I saw this pair, I had to ask the price. Still at the child care center sale. $2 was the price and even though the rechargable batteries weren't working, I figured some new ones might do the trick but not a lot of cash to take a chance. I haven't had a chance to replace the batteries to check it out, but will do it this week. Fingers crossed.
Pair of Cobra MicroTalk 2 way radios. $2
 After coming home and packing up the loot from this week and last week's haul, hubbie Steve and I headed to Carteret County and my home town, Morehead City, NC to visit my brother Sonny. My brother is an athletic individual and always loved running. He has run in two Boston Marathons and I think he ran the Washington DC Marathon too. The last couple of years, Sonny has enjoyed riding a bike. So this morning we met at Fort Macon, he riding his bike and me driving my car! No way I can ride a bike over the beach bridge! 

Sonny wearing his favorite Neon Green shirt.

So once we met in the parking lot, we moved to the walkway up to a observatory area. What a beautiful view of Shackleford Banks with the sun rising and shining on the water. We watched the water birds flying past and some of them diving into the water after some tasty fish.

View from Ft. Macon looking out on Bogue Inlet to Shackleford Island 8am
My big brother has Alzheimer's Disease. He has been losing his memory for a while now and visiting him is always interesting, delightful and challenging sometimes. He has a great sense of humor and though he finds it frustrating to struggle with words or names, Sonny finds great joy in nature and the beautiful area he lives in. Being able to ride across the bridge and spend every morning seeing a view like the one above makes for a good feeling. He loves his grandson Hugh so much and I am glad Hugh lives close by so they have time together. Some of my yard sale finds have a home at Sonny's so little Hugh has some playthings at Grandpa's. Soon Sonny will have another grandson, Beau, to enjoy. Lindsey is ready to have that baby, but apparently Beau is not ready to make an appearance. I promise to let you know when that happens!
He  watches the same dvd, Forest Gump or Rudy every night, and I was ready to see something different! So I brought the movies, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and Hook to mix it up a bit. Did we watch any of them? No! He was too tired that night to stay up and watch them so I will have to wait until next time to watch them with him. Something else to look forward to!

Well that is all for now. Not a fabulous yard sale weekend but I am happy with my finds. I hop you all enjoyed a good Thanksgiving and have a great week. 

Thrifty Christy

0 comments: