Translate

Monday, November 21, 2011

Here Kitty Kitty




Good day virtual tagalongs. 
The sales were plentiful and the pickin's were fruitful; much improved than last week's pitiful selections on Highway 24. Johanna is still in Ohio, Babs has been under the weather so I was happy to get a text from Daughter Brenna asking "what time tomorrow morning". The frost was crunchy under our feet, the gloves and hats were on. We were prepared for the weather this time. It was dark and freezing at 5:45. Brr! Mornings like this make you doubt your sanity; a warm bed is hard to leave when that alarm sounds! Those hot, humid morns of the summer are but a distant memory now.
But the adage "the early bird gets the worm" is certainly true with yard sales. And that is why we go.

Armed with warm clothes and hot coffee, we found some great buys and no cancelled sales. Yay!
This time I brought my camera so I did get some shots of the "Cat Sale". This family is trying to raise funds for their cat rescue (the mother and daughter are the "rescue"). Not really an organization at all. They had tons of books. Boxes of books galore. Unfortunately the prices were not great. I don't mind paying a dollar for a hardback book when there are just a few but, really, they needed to unload lots. And they wouldn't go down in price. I would have loved to have picked up 1st grade readers (paperbacks) for Lindsay's class but just couldn't bring myself to pay $1 for them when I have paid as little as 10-25cts for the same books. Sometimes you have to walk away. What was  interesting is I have seen the seller at yard sales before, and I wonder how many of the items had been purchased at yard sales. I guess they wanted to make as much as they could for the Cat Fund but I think if they had marked all 50c for hardbacks and 10c for paperbacks they would have moved alot of merchandise and made more money. Just my 2 cents.

Cat sale books
One of the cats...blind in one eye, poor thing.

LOTS of Books! Not many buyers.
After finding a few books for a friend of mine who has put money into an "account"(bank envelope with her money in it), I zeroed in to an area of children's toys and games. I checked out the easel below but we had already bought one earlier that was much better.

Nice but already had one for Hugh that day
Now this shot is taken after I went through and picked up items for Hugh. I left behind the wooden rocking horse...reluctantly. The potty chair was interesting....but Brenna said no.
Where's the Kitty?!!
No, the cat is not for sale but I was tempted to get the drum! The Thomas puzzles looked promising but condition of pieces not great. I passed.
Isn't that puppet show stand cute! And see how the potty chair has a book rack fixed to it!  What a great way to encourage reading:)
I picked up this shape sorter at the cat sale for $2. I didn't dicker about the price. It is a very nice quality item. I am searching for Christmas gifts for Hugh. His mother has decided to keep costs down especially since he is so little and doesn't get the "new gift " idea. Used and fun is ok with him. Oh, there will be some new things under the tree, but a lot won't be!

These are the books for my friend Tanya. She asked for books; she likes murder/suspence: no more Patterson. Also said she likes other genres as well. So I grabbed these 3 for $1 each at, yes, the Cat/book sale. From what I understand, you don't need to read Sue Grafton's books in order so if Tanya has read A -M, she will still enjoy. I hope! I have read the Time Travelers Wife and liked it.


Could not resist this barn and animals for Hugh. My sister also asked me to find a couple of gifts for Hugh's Christmas this year...How much fun Cee will have playing with this, I mean, Hugh! Only thing missing is the wagon attachment to the tractor. Everything else is there. Even an extra sheep who isn't as white as the originals....hmmm, not really a "black sheep". Maybe this one makes for a mixed family. I like that!
$3 for set

Below is a Melissa and Doug latch box for Hugh. This will keep him busy and a good interactive toy. Until he figures out how to unlatch doors!
$1 for box

Kelley has had blocks on her list and I picked this one up at, yes, the Cat sale. They really had nice toys there! I am not sure what this originally was a set for cause there are tree shapes, and stairs, nice pieces.

Kraftkids is the brand. Maybe originally a train set? Not sure.


Here is another Melissa and Doug toy. This is a puzzle set with different large wooden pictures and then you pick the shapes to fill in. Missing one of the picture pieces but has the clear cover. A little damage to wood on the side but the cover still slides easily.
$2 for puzzle set

shot of another Picture
Cee had requested a bed rail for Hugh and I found this one in very good condition.  The tub of blocks is an older 70's set by Playschool. Good condition, no top cover. But Hugh will enjoy the blocks. No more blocks now! He has enough!!
Bed rail $3

blocks $1
Ok, I know what you are thinking....Thrifty Christy, you already have picked up 2 of these swimmy suits with flotation things. But this was  50c and it is larger...room to grow! And it doesn't look so girly. We will let Hugh's mom be the judge of when I need to stop buying these. The mandoline/cutting kitchen tool is for me. I have wanted one to chop/shred veggies. It is brand new. All parts still had plastic. The book, Fall of Freddy the Leaf is just beautiful and I have wanted a copy of my own. This one has the dust jacket and is perfect condition.
Swimmy suit: 50c, book: 50c, mandoline: $1
My friend Carolyn still wants wicker! So I couldn't pass this waste basket. It is strong and wicker in great shape. I think she will like it.
wicker waste basket: $1
I have to show you the hat I found for Hugh this week at Goodwill for $1.40. It is made of polar fleece and the fish shape is just too cute. How could anyone pass this up!?

Can't wait to see Hugh sporting this one! 
Carolyn has also requested glass candlesticks. She has a project for Christmas using these.
50c each. Deal!
The great score was this easel. It is BIG!! My sister Cee had asked me to look for one to keep at her house for Hugh. Well, this one was too much, as in size! The seller had bought it for her classroom and then quit teaching. The price was $25 but she said she would drop it to $20. It was tempting, oh very tempting. But it was too big for Cee's needs and it doesn't fold up for easy storage. Then we decided to buy it for $20 and Brenna would replace the easel she bought a few months ago (a Melissa and Doug brand)for her kindergarten classroom with this one. She gave me $5 and will bring the other to me later this week. So she had a better easel for her classroom and Cee has a nice easel for Hugh and any other small child who wanders into her home. I think everyone will be happy. 
Black board side. Note the storage bins underneath

Side view of bins on bottom and it does have a paper roll holder down the middle

Dry erase side. The top piece is for paper to drape down for painting.

Another part to this story is because this easel doesn't fold flat without taking it apart and we were driving a compact sedan, we had to leave it behind to pick up later. Fortunately Brenna's hubbie has a truck so she exchanged numbers with the seller and arranged to return later for pick up. So when you are yard sailing this is something to consider when you find that perfect piece of furniture at fabulous price and you have no way to transport! Have some kind of back up plan to get it home. At least the easel for Cee folds easily and will fit in my car to take to Emerald Isle. My trunk is going to be full...again!

 Brenna also bought books at the Cat Sale. $1. 

She loves the TV series Friends and these two sets almost completes her collection. 
Dvd sets $1 each
Brenna has been on the lookout for golf club bag for Robbie's Christmas present. This very new condition one is perfect for his needs and will replace the worse for wear bag he has now. Shhhh.....don't tell him! It is now in my attic waiting for Christmas!

$10!!
That about wraps up our purchases for the day. Oh, except for the Monsters Inc. dvd I bought for $1. That goes to my brother Sonny's house. I am building his collection of movies so we have more than Rudy, Sweet Home Alabama, and Forrest Gump to watch! Now, don't get me wrong. They are fine movies. But variety is the spice of life! I ordered Finding Nemo from Amazon for $4 plus shipping and found Hook at Goodwill this week. So I am happy to bring an assortment of shows he will enjoy and any guests or family members who want to view with him.

No plans to yard sale next weekend. We have found holiday weekend yard sales pretty lame so I will sleep in and enjoy that warm bed. Heading to Morehead to visit my brother and watch those movies and weather permitting, a walk on the beach, a bike ride and maybe hit a few tennis balls.

Hope you have a tasty Thanksgiving and safe travels if you visit friends or family.

Thrifty Christy


1 comments:

Linda said...

Love reading about the hunting and seeing pictures of your finds! Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy sleeping in on Saturday