Translate

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sisters on the Hunt

I was in Emerald Isle, NC this week enjoying a mini family reunion and my niece's wedding as well. I am blessed with a family who really enjoys getting together and we have a great time catching up. I am the youngest of 7 siblings (5 girls, 2 boys); all but 2 live in NC. So we are talking about a large family! 

Many years ago the sisters playing upon our Southern heritage, came up with alternative flower names for our ownselves. Starting with the eldest:
Fran-Rosebud
Julie-Camelia
Vickie-Night Shade
Cee- Magnolia
Christina-Gardenia

Julie (Camelia), passed away a few years ago way too young from cancer. So  there are the four sisters left and when speaking to each other we often don a heavy southern accent and use our flower names. 

So it was Night Shade (you are required to use a southern accent when saying the flower name!) who joined me this Friday and Saturday for the yard sale search. Night Shade resides in Pensacola, Florida, too far away to join me on my usual jaunts. We were delighted to go together on TWO days! 

Yes, there was a community/neighborhood sale listed on Friday and Saturday morning. Only 2 homes were selling on Friday morning but that was fine with us.
FRIDAY'S HAUL

Night Shade's finds

She picked up this sign for her husband Ron. Couldn't resist it. I do believe it will go somewhere in the garage!
Golfer sign- 50 cents
All brand new, in package,  Michael's gift tags and monogramed note cards
She will donate all of these to charity fundraiser coming up soon.
Possibly they could sell for $1 each. Most contain 10 in each package. I picked up a couple for myself as well.
gift tags: 6 for $1, note cards: 50 cents each.


SATURDAY'S HAUL

Saturday proved to be much more productive.
We went to a church sale first thing since church sales are usually priced lower and have more items. We were not disappointed.

NIGHT SHADE'S FINDS
Handbags, the one on the left is leather
both new.

$1 each
The small pot is from her cookware pattern. It shows some wear on the outside, however  the inside is absolute pristine. This is  enamelware. She may use it for cooking or it would make a cute flower pot. The note cards feature lighthouses and are blank inside. 

pot- 25 cents
note cards- $1 each
On Saturday we found yard sale with lots of plants. The basil is a new variety featuring extra large leaves. All the herbs were $2 so we made sure we chose pots containing at least 6-7 seedlings in each.

On the left, basil-$2 and the other is a succulent plant-$1
She needs a light jacket and this one is perfect. I must say, the color looks great on her.
 Windbreaker: $1
MY FINDS!!

I have a couple of cats and as they have "matured" over the years, my cat carrier is now too small for them. So I have been on the lookout for a medium sized carrier. Saturday I found what I have been looking for.

$3 cat carrier.
Needs some cleaning up but a little elbow grease will do the trick
At the sale with the plants I found 2 small fans. I need one for the Mission Trip I go on just about every July. There were 2 identical fans there. I plugged both in and bought the one with the strongest "blow".  I, too, love making and eating pesto. So I bought 2 of these basil plants, making sure to choose pots with the most seedlings. Very healthy plants.

Basil plants-$2 each.
Fan- $1
At the church sale I picked up this older model crockpot. It is a bigger one and I am looking forward to cooking in it. I have mentioned in past posts the newer versions cook faster. This one I will be able to leave on all day safely and not worry about coming home to a dried out meal.

large crockpot/slow cooker-$2
Also at the church sale I found this package of micro-steam bags for cleaning baby bottle and breast pump accessories. For Brenna's use when my grandson Nathan is born.
50 cents

I found these hand held games on the way out of the church sale. I will try bundling them together to sell on Ebay.
games- 75 cents each
At another sale I bought these two car window shades by Munchkin and a paperback parenting book. I did call Brenna before I purchased to make sure she could use them. Yes, she replied. Each shade retails for $15. And she was curious about the book. 


Window shades- $1 each
book-50 cents
And that is the extent of our weekend shopping at the "sales". 
It was great fun with my sister and I really hope the next time we are together, we can do it again. She is as thrifty as I am and loves a good deal.

The weather was perfect for yard sales and for a week of family, beach, wedding, etc. 

Hope you all have a great week and I will check back next time.


Thrifty Christy


0 comments: