Translate

Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Easter



Happy Easter everyone!

Johanna and I slept in a bit on Saturday since there were no 6am yard sales listed that we were interested in. However there were plenty of sales listed and we had a great day. Makes for a shorter buying morning, but it is also nice to catch those extra zzzzzz.


I experienced my first, "yes, you can try it on" moments, early in the morn. Johanna and I are youth group leaders in our church and have been on many mission trips with high school students. So when we were recognized by a seller, who identified himself as a former teen in our group, we were delighted to see him. When I think of Jack, I always see a very tall, lanky, blonde with long curly hair. Well, 8 years later, Jack has filled out, grown up and is married with nicely trimmed locks. I truly did not recognize him at first. Had the nicest time catching up. So, because he could vouch for us, I was able to try on some dresses his mom was selling in the house. Unfortunately nothing fit but it was the only time I have ever been able to try on a dress at a yard sale!
Johanna bought all the material and sewing items they had for $10. She was so happy with the deal! Below are pics of her pile.
The light is terrible for this trunk shot. The colors of the material are gorgeous!
We both gazed longingly at this chair. Priced at $25 it was soooo tempting but neither of us had a place for it. Sigh. We walked on but kept glancing over our shoulders, thinking, if only.....
$25, no stains, oh, I wish I could use it!
We moved on to one of our favorite neighborhoods. The houses are so cute and usually the merchandise is good quality. This listing of a Neighborhood Yard Sale made us quiver with anticipation! And we weren't disappointed.


Pasta bowls!
I have been looking for pasta bowls for a while now with no luck. So when I saw a set of 8 for $5 by William Sonoma, it didn't take me a second to say "sold"! There was one bowl with a chip which I will pass on to Goodwill. I really don't need 8! They all have a different veggie or herb design. I am looking forward to having pasta soon!
Oh, please Mr. Shoe guy, help me!
I like Dansko shoes and took a chance on these for $3. I wasn't sure about the scuffs. Johanna thought some polish might do the trick. They fit perfectly, don't squeak, and I hoped when I got them home, polish would solve the problem. Not the case. I am going to try a shoe repair place to see if they can help. Other wise, I am out 3 bucks. Hopefully they can work magic. When I googled this quandry, I found this tooled leather shoe had scuff issues in the reviews. No one mentioned taking them to a shoe repair store, just not having luck simply applying polish. I will update you next week.
The veterinary clinic I help out with always needs these small dog/cat beds for recouperating animals. The seller gave me these two. Not is excellent condition but free is always good. Hope they hold out for a while.
Pet beds
In memory of my skydiving experience last summer, I purchased this outfit for my grandson, Nate, who will be born in early July.














It is size 6-9months so he should fit in it by winter. Couldn't resist the parachuting bear!
Especially not for $1.














At another sale in that same neighborhood, I spotted this side table for $3. Brenna has had "night stand" on her Nursery want list for a while now. I liked this one since it was very solid, had a deep storage area, and a place for books in the back.

Front



Even a handy pull out shelf. Talk about a multi use piece! But still I wasn't sure. So I took a couple of pictures of it and sent it to her, hoping she was awake! But I did sent them as I walked to the car, leaving Johanna to make her purchases. I didn't realize Johanna had bought it and put in the back! When Brenna called back and said "yes" get it please, that's when I learned what Johanna had done. She said she thought if Brenna did't want it, then she'd get it for her mom. I promptly paid her! Brenna will paint it and replace the hardware. The knobs are too small for her tastes and the small size does make it hard to pull open the cabinet door. Can't wait to see the makeover!


With shelf open

Back with book holder

Later that morning at another sale, different neighborhood, I reached for a box of windchimes to look. Well, Johanna had already claimed it!




A dollar for the box with 2 chimes, a crystal bead hanger, and new in package brackets!


My dear friend gave me the sun one. It has the most lovely tone!


More of Johanna's finds: this box of: stationary set, cute doll for her granddaughter, polar fleece hat(new with tag), penquin napkin set (new, unopened), and a little porcelain bird's nest for $1, plus the clear plastic container with the lid(!).



Thiis is another box of Johanna's finds. Lots of craft stuff...all for $1.
unopened sewing thingies, all her crafting group can use.



And that is the extent of our treasure hunt this weekend. Lovely, cool weather made it oh so comfortable; we are enjoying these spring temps as long as we can!
We actually ran out of time and ended before we hit all on the list. Both of us had places to get to and family to see. We even missed having our traditional breakfast. We settled for donuts some children were selling at one of the sales. Breakfast of champions...NOT!!


My husband and I then took off for the coast and spent time with my brother, Sonny, and the next day with lots of family members, celebrating Easter and our grand nephew, Hugh's birthday. He turns 2 tomorrow.
Here he is enjoying his birthday pumpkin cupcake...we all enjoyed his pumpkin birthday cupcakes!!! Yummmo!!!

His youngest cousin, Beau, was there also. He is a growing 4 month old and another good natured, easy little fellow. I was fortunate to hold and feed Beau 2 days in a row! Yay! Baby time! I love any time spent with the next generation of neices and nephews. I only wish more of them lived close by.


This week is Thrifty Christy's 1st anniversary!! I started blogging last April with no idea of what I was doing when it came to online journals. So happy to continue sharing my Saturday mornings with you. Hope you continue checking in and enjoying the ride.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. I will check back in next week if I am able to squeeze in a couple of yard sales before I leave later that morning for long drive to Pinehurst, NC. Going to be a busy weekend.


Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

Nighy Shade said...

Try marking pens on the shoes. Then even if your drawing skills aren't great, you can use the shoes when you want comfort but don't care about asthestics. $3 comfortable shoes should not be discarded.

Unknown said...

Problem solved, Vickie, aka, Night Shade. Check out the latest post for update.