Translate

Monday, April 30, 2012

Something For Everyone


Brenna and I were on our own Saturday morning. The crafting group Babs and Johanna are involved with held a craft fair in the morning. That made hitting the sales a no go for that duo. But Brenna and I were on, though I did pause when I was reviewing the paper and Craigslist for garage sales and saw the earliest one started at 5:30. Gulp. That's even before 0'dark thirty! Yes, we went. Crazy? Perhaps. Done it before, fortunately the 5:30 sales are far and few between. The other fortunate thing was there were multiple sales nearby and that worked out very well indeed. The weather was threatening rain so sellers were ready to start earlier and bargain! We started early but ended rather early too. There were so many listed and Brenna and I didn't dawdle much. We counted up later and realized we went to 17 in 2 hours! Mainly because so many were either next door to each other or in the same neighborhood. Makes for effieciency and gas saving. Love it!
Warning. We found a lot of stuff. And lots of pictures. So this is a bit longer post than usual since I have included Brenna's finds as well. She is stocking up for Baby Nate's arrival in early July and found baby things as well as other items.
We didn't get a photo of the infant exercise mat so I found this one on Google images. It is the same one Brenna found. Ticketed price was $10 but she asked $5 and the seller said yes. It was one of the first sales, they were still putting items out but there was lots of stuff and he said "nothing is going back in the house...what doesn't sell goes to charity". Brenna really wanted one of these and she remembered our motto, "No is the worst thing they can say" when you ask for a lower price!
$5 for all
Dr. Brown bottles for daycare. She is going to breastfeed but will store breastmilk for daycare. There are different brands of bottles and for this price she can see if they are good for Nate. The other two are breast pump bottles.

These Dr. Brown bottle nipples will be used when Nate is older. Who knew there are different nipples for different ages? Not me! I am learning how things have changed since my children were babies!
10 cents!
Baby board books! Nate's library continues to grow
25 cents each

Swaddling blankets. The yellow one can even be used in a car
seat. There is a slit in the back for the seat straps.

Swaddling blankets: $1 each
Box of baby socks. I think he will be set for a couple of years with this pile! All is excellent condition, some brand new.
$3 for all

Pretty scarves!
50cents each
The same sale she found the scarves Brenna spotted this long sleeved t-shirt from the high school I graduated from. Too small for me but perfect for Brenna to sleep in. The seller's cousin graduated with me. How's that for coinsidence!

50cents
Same sale Brenna saw this cardigan for her sister, Ellie. Took a chance and, yes, Ellie loves it. Yard sales make it easy to be generous.
50cents
Matching frames are new. Paperback from the Twilight series; completes her set.
Frames: $1 each. Paperback: $1
Storage bins for Nate's room or kindergarten classroom
$1 each
Tea bags...will they help? She'll try for the right price! And all of these were cheap. We love Clinique products at yard sale prices!
FREE!
Boppy pillow bundled with 


Brenna scored with this wonderful body pillow for pregnant women. Leachco "All Nighter Total Body Pillow" will replace the  Snoogle I found a couple of years ago at a yardsale for $2.50 (retails at $60). The Snoogle has been great for her pregnancy but she needed some more bulk in the filling. She was tempted to buy the "All Nighter" she saw online on sale marked down from $75 to $39 recently but decided to make do with the Snoogle.
 Imagine her delight when we pulled up to one of the last sales of the morning and she spotted this on a table! No, she didn't run but she moved rather quickly to check out the condition! Just what she wanted. Seller had $15 price sticker on it, and the Boppy pillow above was marked $8. Hmm. She thought she could do better than that price. The seller wasn't too motivated to drop the price on the body pillow but the morning was late, so Brenna bought the two for $15. Below is my daughter, Brenna's sister, Ellie happily testing it out. Ellie has been longing for the Snoogle so now she can take possession since Brenna has upgraded. Everyone is happy.


Lovely Ellie demonstrating the Body Pillow


Now it is my turn! Found a box of new greeting cards in plastic covers for 25 cents each. My inventory has been replenished!

The Grandma gene has kicked in. I actually bought these two stuffed animals. Oh dear, they really make soft, plushy toys these days. I swear, no more! The little green Wee Swim baby suit is for my great nephew Beau this summer. Reviews have been positive on these. I hope he can use an extra pair in his size. He is a big 4 month old now and I know he'll be in the water either in a pool or the ocean this summer every day!
The box contains puzzle flash cards. I picked these up for great nephew Hugh. The illustrations are vivid, the puzzles are easy to put together (only two pieces) and I hope he will have fun.
Plush animals: 50 cents each, Wee Swim pants: 50cents, First Words  flashcards/puzzles: $1
Love a free pile! I asked for and got the whole box of shampoo, conditioner, and soap samples. A friend of mine, Lisa, is taking donated items to the local homeless shelter each week. I will add this to her pile.


Lisa mentioned above is the owner of the beach house my siblings and I used last weekend. We had such a great time at the house and hope to rent it again when we can all get together. I told her I would be happy to pick up things she needed for the house at yard sales. They don't want to spend a lot of money on things at a rental since the wear and tear can be great. But yard sales make nice things affordable. One of the wish items were bath mats. I found these two yesterday and thought they would work with her beach decor. The surf board shaped rug was really cute. Hope she likes them.
$1 each. Disregard $2 sticker on beach scene rug. Got it for $1
My cat Prudence has a scratching problem, mainly my couch and rug! So I picked this up hoping she might transfer her scratching needs to something more appropriate. Maybe playing with the ball will inspire her to scratch the cardboard instead. Fingers crossed. And the seller threw in an extra insert too.
$1
Beach time!! This roll is a beach mat with a strap. This way my towel will be used for drying off. Here's hoping I get some beach time this summer!
Rolled and ready
Here it is rolled out. Nice and long and the weaving is soft.

Toy for great nephew Hugh. My sister Cee requested a few toys for her house for Hugh to play with and this double car ramp came highly reccomended....by Brenna. She babysat a little boy who loved this toy so I thought Hugh might too. That is it for Cee's stash. No more until Hugh has outgrown his Aunt Cee's supply.
Did not pay $2. Paid $1
Oops, now we need cars!!
The same sale we found the body pillow, boppy, clinique items, baby bottles, swaddling blankets...I spotted these four new in original box reproduction candle sets from The Vermont Country Store. For $1 each!! Two are Thanksgiving themed and the other two are Christmas. I knew they had some value so I bought them all. Now I am trying to decide whether to sell or keep! They are so cute and would make great decorations but since they retail at $20-$25, I know I could make a nice profit. Decisions, decisions.
$1 each
Pilgrim set
Santa and raindeer
All original boxes!
Same seller as the candle sets, I paid $1 each for these new moisturizer jars. Gotta keep moisturizing!
My quest for younger skin; $1 each


I believe my Grandma's stash is now complete with this Chicco umbrella stroller. Yes, I know, Nate's a boy and there is definitely some pink polka dots but I really don't care! It is in great shape, light weight, and easy to fold up. Price was just right too. Now up in my attic ready for our first walk in the neighborhood in the fall.
$5...and that was the asking price. At 6:30 in the morning! That's why we get there EARLY!

Again, same seller as the bottles, mosturizers, candles...etc. My plant mister broke so this one is needed, and the clinique products (and avon planet spa) were affordable.

Plant mister: 25 cents. Cosmetics: FREE





Thrift store finds this week
When we stayed at the beach house last weekend, chopping was made difficult because the knives were not very sharp and a chef's knife could not be found.
I mentioned the lack of knives to Lisa, the owner, and asked if I found some good ones at yardsales or thrift stores, would it be ok if i donated to the beach house. You can probably figure out what her answer was. So the next day I found this set for $15 at Goodwill and got it. The brand is Harris Teeter. Originally sold for $60, this is an 11 piece set including the sissors and meat cleaver and sharpener. I cleaned it up, sharpened all the blades and hope folks staying at the Green House will enjoy slicing, dicing and cutting safely.

$15! What I would have gladly paid at a yard sale



Same store, same day I found the knife set I saw this booster high chair. Hmm. It was in excellent condition and less bulky than a full size chair. Up in the attic it goes for when Nate is old enough and ready if Hugh or Beau come to visit. I love being prepared. Frugally, prepared! I checked this one on Amazon.com and read the reviews. I recommend reading reviews on products. You learn a lot. For instance, with this one, I found out you can adjust the height. Did't know that. It also folds up making it easy to take to a restaurant if you want to. Some reviewers mentioned this as a plus, avoiding using the restaurant's high chairs not always cleaned very well. 

And folks, that is the end of yesterdays pickings. I had a wonderful morning with my daughter, went to a near record number of sales (and only a couple of drive-bys), and found great deals.

Hope you had a good weekend and maybe found some bargains as well. 


See you next week!

Thrifty Christy  

2 comments:

Night shade said...

What great bargins. I like the beach mat. thank you for preparing the beach house for our next visit. Yes, bath mats.

Unknown said...

Nightshade, I am glad the mat selection meets your approval. Lisa lkes them too. I hope we can stay at the Green House again, maybe next year? Great place for a family gathering.