Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Christy meets Crissie

I know my blog concerns Saturday morning yard sales but sometimes I luck out and find one or two on a Friday. But last week I was invited to a "yard sale that didn't happen". Long story short, a group of folks were setting up for a yard sale and the day they planned to have it turned out to not be a good day for it.. But with a garage full of goods, one of the sellers offered to let some people come by during the week and shop. I found this out through the Facebook online yard sale group and contacted the seller. I called her to set up a time and when I arrived, she opened the garage door and it was packed! Her name is Crissie and I met my yard sale match with this young lady! She is as addicted as me! We chatted about our love of the hunt and I shopped around as we talked. I ended up with a few items but even better was a new connection and a new friend. I told her I was looking for a turntable for my husband and matchbox cars for my great nephew. Didn't find a turntable but one of her family members collects matchbox cars, is looking to downsize, and sold me 21 for $5. And when I brought the cars to Hugh the next day, well, just look at the picture below to see he is having fun!
The child loves cars!
I did find this mailbox Crissie painted. All that was lacking was a coat of poly. I fell in love immediately! It was the hummingbird that captured my heart. I thought of my mom when I made this purchase. I rarely buy things for myself just for the heck of it, I do try to be as practical as possible. But not with this one. My mom had a poem by Saadi she memorized and would recite.

If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

So what this means is I bought something for no other purpose than to make me smile. I took it home, sprayed on several coats of poly and voila! Is my husband thrilled with a black mailbox? No. Do I really care? No. It will be installed on Sunday with great delight and care. My hyacinth.
$20
My nephew Jon is a deer hunter and a few months ago put in a request for a swivel bar stool for his deer blind. I found this one in Crissie's garage and bought it for $5. Not the cleanest or loveliest chair in the world but a great price and since it is going in a deer stand, I knew looks weren't important. Plus, it rather comfy.

Can't beat a chair for $5!

It may be too short but Jon thinks he can rig up a couple of boards to get the height he needs. Looking forward to some venision soon!

So when Crissie casually mentioned if I ever wanted company on a Saturday morning, I decided to take her up on that offer. Johanna and Babs were out of town and I thought Carolyn was gone too. You know I don't like going solo. Let me tell you, Christy and Crissie had a whirlwind morning with finds galore!
First stop was a sale at 6:30. Still dark out. Now, let me begin with Crissie. She is a reseller. Especially furniture. That is the first thing she asks about when she arrives at a sale. She obviously can paint (note the mailbox) and so buys furniture cheap at yard sales, paints and does minor repairs, and then sells on Craigslist and the FB online yard sale site.
We arrived and immediately she found a dresser that was still in the trailer. $10! It was still really dark but we could tell it was really nice. As in fantastic condition. I took a picture but since it was still in the trailer, I didn't get a complete picture. I love the handles and the drawers slid out so easily. It really was a quality piece. So Crissie paid the $10 and left it there to be picked up later when she had access to her husband's truck.


We had lots on the list and just kept going. Crissie was looking for a work desk and found this one. Again, we left it behind to be collected later.

Asking price $20. Paid $10
Yes, I also found some items as well. This wicker table was in great shape and has already replaced a side table in my living room that was too big for the space. I plan to spray paint it black to go with some other furniture pieces. Another on my to-do list. Isn't it cute?!
$5 wicker side table.
We arrived at one sale (note, it truly was a frosty morning) and knew where the yard sale was! Never have seen a yard sale sign quite that big and prominent! Nice sign but the goods were not that great.
Great advertising, just wish they had quality goods!
Crissie found a lot more furniture than I took pictures of, trust me! But I just love this one. My favorite. We arrived at this sale at the end of our morning. It was getting late. Price tag on the desk (chair came with it) was $50. Crissie paid $20 and this will actually be her work table instead of the one she bought earlier. That one is already listed and I hope will be sold soon.


I bought the geraniums that are on top of the desk, a black quilted vest, and a rug. All for $5.
Love the color on these faux geraniums.
Ok, I really could not resist these shades. The silver/pewter one is by Restoration Hardware, made of silk and in absolutely pristine condition. And it is big. 17 inches diameter. Retail value is around $64. Yes, I looked it up. I paid $2. And the smaller one is a neat color and I love the raised flecks. $2. I have already found a cool tall lamp at Goodwill with a mirrored base that I think will look fabulous with the larger shade. I plan to sell that and feel confidant I can get a good price. I have to justify my shade addiction problem somehow and find good homes for lovely shades. I am not a hoarder! But don't go into my attic. Christmas decor is taking over up there.
$4 for both.
I also found a craftsman sander with a bagger for $1. I had no need of one at the moment but, hey, for $1? I grabbed it! It stayed with Crissie since she had some big projects and needed one. She says it does a great job and is very happy using it.


My olive oil bottle's spout fell inside and was unretrievable. Don't you hate when that happens? So I found one for 50 cents and switched out the spout. Saved my lovely blue bottle and recycled the other. And didn't take a picture but I am sure you all know what an olive oil spout looks like. 
A car rug/mat for Hugh. This goes to my sister's Cee's house for Hugh to play with when he visits.
$4
These are a couple of Fisher Price toys I picked up for a friend's 1 year old granddaughter for $1 each.
I figured anything musical for $1 is fun for both grandparent and 
grandchild.

And though I know I found more treasures, I neglected to photograph them before I had to leave for Morehead City, NC to visit my brother Sonny. Crissie and I had a blast, and I am happy as can be with this new friendship. We will continue to keep our eyes open for each other on deals and rejoice when we find a bargain. Kindred spirits indeed.
Happy bargain hunting to all.

Thrifty Christy


0 comments: