Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

Turn Around!!

Last week Crissie and I went to yard sales together and this weekend I was accompanied by Carolyn. Fun!! I love companions. Makes all the difference.
In the past it seemed Carolyn would find stuff than I but this time it was me all over the place. Funny how the sales luck ebbs and wanes. And although Carolyn didn't hit a "jackpot" she was delighted with her finds and as always, it is so much fun to witness another's lucky moments. And that, my friends, is why you always are better off bargain hunting in the company of a friend. 

Thank goodness there were no 5:30 sales listed. We slept in. I met Carolyn at her house at 5:45, list in one hand and coffee travel mug in the other(previous yard sale find) and off we went. Well, not really because I when I pulled out my handy dandy head lamp, I remembered it needed new batteries. Last week I wanted to show it off to Crissie and was chagrined to find it not working. So, bless her heart, Carolyn ran back in the house and offered me 3 AAA batteries and then we were off! 

We had high hopes for a "community yard sale" down the road. But only 2 sellers had their stuff out and though 2 chairs gave me pause, really comfortable, great shape, the seller wanted to sell as a pair for $80. Just wasn't feeling like spending that much money and then there was transportation issues. Carolyn found a couple of items there which I have pictured at the end of the post.

We probably stopped at 10 sales and would have kept going but I had to be home by 9am. We shopped at different sales until 8am when the church community sale started. There were probably 30 venders set up in the parking lot. The church rents out parking spaces for families to sell their "yard sale" items. The sellers pay a fee and they are responsible for setting up and removing their stuff. Carolyn and I walked up and down, shopping at lots of "yard sales" in the same spot. Talk about saving gas! We love it!

So here are my finds this Saturday. I do like reed diffusers. Found this boxed set of my favorite scent, lavender. I can't use the candle so I will give that away but the diffuser and the spray are keepers.

$2
 We are a house divided now. My husband has given up caffenated coffee. I can't. So I was looking for a 4 cup coffee maker and voila! Found one! And here it is with brewed coffee on my counter. Works!

$1
I lose gloves all the time. So I will buy gloves whenever I find them. I picked up a pair of black leather gloves with 100% silk lining. Ooh! they feel good! Bought another pair of cream colored leather ones with cashmere lining too and  I put those on and used them the rest of the yard sale excursion since it was a chilly morn.

I respect spiders; Charlotte's Webb is a favorite children's book of mine. I like this one and look forward to reading it to my grandson, Nate when he is older. Hopefully he will be the gentle remover of spiders when his mother is screaming for them to be smashed. One hopes. 

50 cents (hardback)
 Crissie had asked me to keep an eye out for furniture for her. She was having her yardsale and couldn't get out to other sales. I found this one that needs a little TLC but was well made and sturdy.


I bought this for $5

And Crissie has already transformed it for resell. Cute!

Before the community church sale we stopped at a sale on my favorite street, Primrose Lane.
After shopping there, we headed off for more, and as we were driving, we noticed a woman dragging this table to the side of the road. So I yelled "Turn around !" (therein lies the reason for the post title) to Carolyn. And she did. And of course a car behind us had also pulled up. Fortunately those folks weren't interested in the  table but some other items she was taking out of her garage. She asked $20 for the table, had a pretty tablecloth to go with it and also an Ikea wood lazy susan. I bought the three items for $25. I don't  want the table, I want the base. I am going to paint my round pedastal table top but have never been a fan of the base. So I am going to switch the bases out. If Crissie wants the top and the old base, she can have them for free to  paint and resale. 
Another project!
 So here are some other items I picked up. The batting is for my daughte Ellie's project. Converting a door into an upholstered headboard. So I grabbed the batting below for $1 for both bunches. Found another car mat for Hugh and there is the Ikea Lazy Susan I mentioned earlier. That needs sanding and painting and I believe I will either keep it or sell. Not sure.

Lazy Susan $2, car mat $4, and batting $1
 Carolyn has a back massager seat just like this one on her living room chair. OMG!!! I have experienced it and didn't want to get off. So this one in the box caught my eye at the community sale. It had a $15 price tag and I asked the seller if she'd take $10. "No" was the answer. I walked away with Carolyn buzzing in my ear about what a great price it was, they sell for  $50-$100 and if I didn't get it she was considering going back and getting it herself! Agh!! So I went back and paid the $15. And it is just as wonderful as Carolyn's. 


Same sale I bought the $5 table for Crissie, I found this fatwood filled metal bucket. We have a woodstove so I can use the fatwood. The bucket I am considering selling. Not my decor style but maybe someone else's.

$3
 The little shoes were $1 a pair. Nate gets them. And he will pass the white ones on to his little cousin Julia when she gets older. The box contains 26 match box cars. I was looking at them at the sale and the seller said 10 cents each. When I started pulling out one by one, counting, he said take the whole box for $2. Sold! The  books will be donated to my SIL's public school and the Nate The Great book goes in Grandma's stash.

Books: 25cents, soft leather toddler shoes: $1 each and box of 26 cars: $2

Now to Carolyn's purchases!
Black hanger for teacups...50 cents
Two small oil lamps, $1; LED candle diffuser, $1; mint chocolate candle, 25 cents,
 and candle stick, 25 cents
Sweet little glass jar already filled with cinnamon sugar..$1
Mouse Trap game...brings back childhood memories!  $2

And that concludes the yard sale finds of the week. And I have finally caught up with my backlog and will try my best not to get so far behind. Looking forward to next weekend with Carolyn once again. The sales will be fewer after this weekend, Thanksgiving weekend will be paltry as is usual after a holiday and folks are getting into the Christmas holiday decorating. We shall see. One weekend at a time! Happy bargain hunting and see you next week.



Thrifty Christy

0 comments: