Translate

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Gobble Gobble.

The saying "you never know what you'll find at a yard sale" is absolutely true. Did I see this fully mounted tom turkey and buy him at a yard sale? NO!!! But I had to ask the person who did buy him to stop and let me take a picture. I was walking up the driveway (actually I was cutting across the lawn to the driveway) and spotted a lady leaving the sale carrying the tom turkey. "Please stop" I shouted, " I have to take a picture"! She complied, I took the shot, and we parted ways. Did I think to ask how much she paid? No. So anyone who wants to know what a tom turkey goes for at a yard sale will have to go out and look their own selves. But I will tell you, it wasn't first thing in the morning! That tom sat there waiting a few hours to find an appreciative owner. Or at least I hope an appreciative owner. Who knows what plans the buyer has for this stud muffin!

Price unknown
Turkeys weren't the only thing that was mounted and for sale. Below are 3 mounted deer heads. Another first. Again, did I inquire pricing? No. I suppose because I had no interest in purchasing taxidermy I had no curiosity...until hours later when I am thinking of the blog. Too late to make the inquiries.

Price unknown
I captured another inventive way to display clothing keeping it off the ground, on tarps or blankets thus making it easier for your customers to look at and hopefully buy your goods. Use whatever you have available to elevate wares.


This "new in box" bird feeder is for my sister, Fran, aka, Rosebud.

$5
I have noticed hair roller sets are selling well on the local Facebook yard sale group so I bought these to resell. However, one of my daughters spotted it later in the day and asked for them. Apparently I choose well. They are being tested at her home and if they pass inspection, she will buy them from me. At the family discount price.

$5. Conaire Ion shine rollers 

Okay, funny story on the bookcase below. I asked the price and after one of the sellers looked carefully (she knew they had put a sticker somewhere on it) we found $10 on the bottom of the top shelf. I said I want it and still needed to continue to shop so please make sure no one else buys it. I finish up, pay up and start taking my purchases to the car, planning on coming back to load the bookcase. I see my fellow "picker" Crissie as I head back for the bookcase and she enthusiastically informs me she is buying the bookcase for $5! Apparently she asked another seller at the sale, a clueless guy who was there mainly to help load stuff and help out who knew nothing of my purchase or the asking price. Too bad for Crissie and I am kicking myself I didn't ask for a lower price.  I did resell it in one day for $20. Next time, I will ask for lower price. Maybe. I am just glad I saw her before she loaded it in her trunk.

$10
At another sale, I purchased a bunch of very nice wooden puzzles and some games for $1 each. 14 in total. I resold all of them immediately. The 4 puzzles below have the prices I sold them for. They were all bought by a single buyer. Good turnover and a quick sale. Just the way I like it!

The  one below I saved for my grandson, Nate. Just had to keep it.

$1
Below are some of the educational games and one large floor puzzle also purchased for $1 each. All in mint condition. All sold except for the lacing cards. Brenna would like them for her kindergarten class.
$1 each
The sound puzzle by Melissa and Doug was brand new in shrink wrap. Part of the lot of 14. It sold for $8. That will be in a little boy's Easter basket.
 The fairy puzzle had slightly chewed piece I missed seeing when I purchased all those puzzles. I couldn't resell that one but I offered it to Crissie for her 5 year old daughter. It's going to a sweet little girl who will love it.

$1 each
Crissie and I went to a church sale on Friday night waaay out in the boonies because, well, we hoped it would be worth the drive. All clothing was 25 cents. I found 2 pairs of men's new Adidas athletic pants for my son in law (hoping they would fit and he would want. When you are only spending 50 cents, 
you take "chances" like that.
I am glad I did. Robbie needed them and was again surprised I bought 2 pairs of new pants that retail for $30-$40 for 50 cents. 
That's why "I brake for yard sales". At the same sale, I spotted this birthday hat for Nate. He celebrates his first birthday in a few months. New with tags, I was compelled to buy it. My husband's reaction was "you went too far". Nate's mother's reaction was "Nice"!! I am going with "Nice".

$1
For Kelley, my niece, I bought a flotation device for soon to be 3 year old Hugh. She had asked me a few months ago to keep an eye out for a specific kind. Found one like the one below but the color was yellow. This one is a stock photo since I neglected to take a picture of Hugh's. She was so happy when I pulled it out of my trunk the next day.
$1


This little sheep is a battery operated crib sleep machine. Plays 4 different sounds, ocean, rain, forest, and, get this...whale! I have wanted one to have when Nate spends the night but even used on Ebay they run about $15. Put in new batteries and good to go. Thank goodness for yard sales.

$3
Johanna joined me later on in the morning and found lots of treasures as well. Everything pictured below totaled around $25. All the spray paint as well as the cans of paint were new and full. There are lots of things in bags you can't see, sorry, we were running out of time and I didn't make her pull it all out. Just a brief "trunk shot. We called it a day and headed for our weekly breakfast catch up time. Coffee and conversation is the best way to end your yard sale experience. At least in my opinion.


That's it for this time. Note, I didn't post  last week. Just got too busy. So I am working on this week's post and will have it up shortly. Hope you have a great week and happy bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy

0 comments: