Translate

Sunday, March 10, 2013

We need a bigger vehicle


I was driving around town Saturday afternoon and found myself behind a truck hauling a open caged trailer and thought, oh the trouble Johanna and I could get into with an attachment like that! I don't think our fellow yard sale buyers would appreciate maneuvering around us on some of the tight streets but for a moment; I dreamed.
Reality check. I drive a Civic. Enough said. I make do, I put the back seat down and hold my breath sometimes and always appreciate riding with Johanna in her CRV. My friend Crissie's arrangement for buying large items is to pay for them and then her step father comes along later with his truck and picks ups her purchases. Nice.
So early morning yesterday with one sale listed at 6am. Crissie beat me to it and reported "over priced and not much". Hmm I thought and checked it out for my ownself. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for and what you see when you scrounge rummage through boxes. There I found the items below at rock bottom prices. The baby sling and the Willow Tree ornament I have already sold. My niece Kelley gets the baby bottle drop-ins for my new niece Julia. I sold the ornament and the sling as soon as I posted the pictures and descriptions. Very fast turnover, just the way I like it! The Willow Tree ornament and sling both sold for $7 each. Their new owners are already enjoying.
Playtex drop-ins 25 cents each. Ornament 50 cents and new sling, $1.50


Close up of the Willow Tree figurine. I will keep my eyes peeled from now on for these! The tag was an added bonus.


At another sale I picked up the Easter "grass", the new onesie (for Nate "from" my daughter Ellie), and an infant life preserver for Nate to use this summer.
"grass" 25 cent each, onesie was  $1 and the life preserver, $1
Found these 8 oz Tervis tumblers with our local East Carolina University emblem and have also sold them. Unfortunately I could have asked double but someone got a great deal and I made a profit. All good.

$2 for all

Remember this pretty mirror? A nice size: 19 inch square. I paid $5 for it last week at the rummage sale. Price tag of $105.99 still attached. When I put it up for sale today, my niece Kelley spotted it and bought it. She received the "family" discount. Going to look lovely in Miss Julia's room. And I get to see it when I visit.


I picked up these large metal pots for Babs who couldn't be with us on Saturday. They are about 12 inches high, nice and big. I love them and hope she doesn't paint them. I like the color and patina.

25 cents each!!!

I picked up the ricer shown below at one of the last sales of the morning. I have a nice one (picked up at a yard sale, of course) but it has parts that make cleaning a pain and the stuff oozes up around the press. So I bought this because it is all one piece. No separate parts. Nice weight, I could tell it was a really nice one. I checked out the name Kull printed on the side and found a new one for sale on Amazon for $69.50. This one is a little tarnished but shined up nicely with silver polish. The one listed on Amazon said was aluminum with plastic coating. Not sure about this one. But I have already made egg salad and it works great and the barest of "oozing". And yes, clean up is ever so much easier! Also learned it is a Spaetzle-Schwob Press made in Germany. So if I ever want to make spaetzle, I can with ease!
The shawl was definitely an impulse buy. I just loved the colors. So vibrant. I have absolutely nothing to wear with it so it just might have to find a home with one of my dear sisters who attend concerts and artistic events. One of them is sure to appreciate it. I hope!
Spaetzle/Ricer, $3 and scarf/shawl, $2
I need a bathing suit cover up for the summer and this fits the bill. Summer and ocean; I am ready.


The tie below is cool, new with tag and my husband loves it. Just has to wait almost a year to wear it! The wooden box shape sorter is brand new. Birthday gift for Nate? Hmmm, could be! And the Hallmark Christmas couple, I couldn't resist. Really, I tried. But I couldn't. Not after seeing Hugh dance along with the my other ones at Christmas. They sing I Wish You a Merry Christmas and sway back and forth. Out of curiosity, I checked this out on Ebay to see what they're selling for. Average listing that has sold runs around $35.00. Retired and fun. I guess I am not the only one who appreciates them!

New Rock and Roll Christmas tie: $3. New in box shape sorter: $2. Animated Hallmark couple: $1

Enjoy the video and feel free to bob up and down as Hugh did!


I checked out this armoire and considered buying it to replace my husband's dresser. He had expressed a thought an armoire would solve his closet and space issue. Don't ask. But that was a while ago. Apparently the thought of moving heavy furniture that day was not in the cards so he said vehemently "NO" when I callded. Once I told Johanna I wasn't getting it, she jumped on the negotiating table. I had walked away and didn't know. Next thing I know she's backing the car up and two guys are loading it in!
So fortunately Johanna bought the armoire below at the tail end of our morning. Thank God! It took every bit of space behind the front seats with no knee space for us in the front. She paid $55 dollars for it, a nearly new massage cushion, and a wooden display shelf with small glass bottles. 
Johanna plans to sell the armoire. She's already buffed it up and it is ready to list. I made the double picture with my Photo grid app which has a text feature. Makes posting and describing easier on the Facebook group page. I wish her luck. My children and husband were not impressed with the style of the piece and I agree, it would not have fit in with our bedroom furniture. But painted? Hmmm. I can see possibilities there. Will be interesting to see how much Johanna can get for it as is. 


Here's her massage cushion. We certainly are finding these lately. This one is not the Shiatsu kind I have been buying. She plans on selling it too; after "testing" it her own self!


We had Crissie take a picture of our tight quarters with the armoire loaded in the back. We all were at the same yard sale, last one for Johanna and I, and of course Johanna had to buy the biggest planter ever for Babs. And the only room left in the car was my lap.


See how close Johanna is to the steering wheel? We drove very carefully home.


Trunk shot! Johanna appreciated the wheels at the bottom of the armoire when she and her husband unloaded it on their carport. We need a bigger vehicle!


Speaking of Crissie, she is quite the wheeler dealer of furniture. Example: she bought this dresser for $15 (yes, no typo. $15) at a yard sale last week. In fact, I arrived before she did and had already checked it out. Since I was driving a Civic and had no room, no place to store it, I didn't buy it.Now I am kicking myself learning my own daughter has been wanting one for her hallway. Sigh. I will be ready next time. And maybe there will be.

Crissies's deal for $15. 

Oooh! One more thing before I end this post. I purchased a loupe recently from Amazon. Love it! Not only does it magnify but also has a light so I will be ready on those "0'dark thirty" mornings when I want to checkjewelry for silver or gold markings. I feel so professional!


I completely forgot to post these a couple of weeks ago. The Saturday before last totally was a bust. Rain was forcasted and it did rain. There were some sales but not much. So then on Sunday morning, I saw a sale listed and checked it out. Picked up a new beach umbrella, the new and huge lighted Christmas star, and the very large grapevine ball. I am going to try wrapping string lights around the ball for Christmas decoration next year. I think it will be pretty. The star? Well, I will either sell it next year or see if my sister Fran would like it. She likes to decorated her yard for the holidays.

New beach umbrella: $5. Large lighted star: $10. Large grapevine ball: $3(basketball size)

And that completes this week's and last week's and the week before that of my finds. Hope you found some deals too. Happy bargain hunting!

Thrifty Christy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys really know how to shop. I admire your enthusiasm for finding great things for cheaper prices. Seems like you need a bigger vehicle for soon. :)
- WillowTreeShop.com

Unknown said...

Rachel, we make do with what we have. Enthusiasm....yes, but more like a mix of compulsion and delight. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.