Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Roaring in like a lion

March is here and the begining of the yard sale season has sprung. Thank goodness! It has been a long dry/cold spell and though I have enjoyed a few Saturday mornings sleeping in (especially on those frosty morns), I am ready for more sales to start filling up my saturdays.

I spent the week helping out with a huge rummage sale at a private local school as a "consultant" since my addiction  enthusiasm for yard sales is becoming well known in my circle of friends. My employer requested my services for this endeavor (she is on the board of trustees). The gym was filled by the end of the week with so much stuff, and, I might add, really nice stuff. The local Humane Society had bags of donated items in their storage building but didn't have the time to go through it all. Since they were recipients of some of the proceeds of the sale, I helped sort through the bins and bags and then transported it all out to the gym. It was amazing what folks gave and some were obviously from pet stores since one whole bin was all new with tags items. It was a lot of work but totally worth it. 
As always there were a lot of clothes donated and they were nicely displayed on the stage with clothes racks. Makes looking at clothes much easier than rummaging through boxes and a great way to sell. More work for the set up team but worth it.
The photos above are a view from the stage looking at the gym as well as random pictures of other areas. As you can see, there was a "gracious plenty" as my grandmother would say. You would think I would have been going crazy with all these goodies at my fingertips but alas, when you work every day with "stuff" you really don't need, it isn't at all appealing after awhile. So I limited myself to a few basic items. Here are some shown below.


All 3 of  these children's clothes I bought for $2. They are now for sale on the Facebook yardsale group. The plaid smocked jumper with chicks already sold for $10. Rest pending.


I bought the gates for Nate since he will be crawling soon. Baby gates that swing open are much easier so the price of $5 each was good. May need to purchase or order additional hardware...we shall see. Since I wasn't sure what hardware to look for, I might have been too hasty with these. Fingers crossed it still is a bargain. The mirror I picked up to give to Brenna for Nate's room or to sell. In my effort to give it a quick clean, I rubbed some of the blue paint off the side. Agh! Now I have to find or mix paint to patch that up. When will I learn?! The books were cute and you know I can't pass up great books. Not for 50 cents for hardbacks. And the coverlet is for our bed. I love the pattern, the colors and it will be perfect in the spring and summer. Washed it yesterday and it looks fabulous!
Above items I purchased at the rummage sale prior to Sat. 2 baby gates, $5 each, books:
paperbacks 25 cents ea. and hardbacks 50 cents each. Queen size coverlet $3. The mirror I bought when I went to the sale at 10:30 Sat. morning. 19 inch square. Marked down to $5. I will be selling that! Nice heavy wooden frame with an original price on it for $105.99

First sale of the day for me started at 6am with plans to meet Johanna and her mom later in the morning. They were going to the school rummage sale at 6am. We met around 7 at a sale around the corner from the church. There were a couple in the neighborhood so I checked them out while waiting for Johanna and Babs to arrive. Below are some of the items I found at the church sale. Note cards go to my sister Vickie, books are for Brenna's kindergarten class as well as glue sticks. The coffee pot was practically brand new and I bought it to replace the 4 cup one I have now. This one is 5 cups and perfect for my morning brews. The white one will find a home elsewhere. I already know who I am giving it to.
Above: Wooden book with magnet puzzle pieces, 50 cents. Note card packs ranged from 10 cents to 50 cents (they dropped the price when I  bought several), paperbacks for Brenna, 50 cents each. Coffee maker, $4, hat: 50 cents. New glue sticks: 25 cents ea. the coffee filters came with the coffee pot (new in plastic packaging and the little bunny was 50 cents. She is my Easter decoration.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
The mirror below I am either going to sell or put in my living room. It is large, 23 inches square and the sides which you can't see are covered with a thin embossed metal which is coming away from the particle board underlay. I picked up some epoxy glue and will have to do a little work. Sigh. Cost went from $10 to $14 quickly. If I keep it, I may paint. Not sure yet. I need to get my husband to hold it up and let me look at it in the living room. In the meantime I have to keep it faced to the wall since my cat Pru keeps walking up to it and pawing her reflection!
My daughter Brenna is getting the massage cushion. Back issues have been bothering her and just last week she asked to borrow my massager. So when I saw this one I couldn't believe only paying $5. And the plastic wrap is still on the controller.  Baby clothes are for Nate. I was happy to find the East Carolina University onesie new with $19.95 tag still attached. Perfect for the ECU baseball games and or football in the early fall. 


Mirror: $10. Massage cushion: $5. Baby clothes 50 cents each

Below are Johanna's finds. The costumes were found at the school rummage sale and the others at other sales. I love the stackable turtle measuring cups! I didn't know what they were and picked them up trying to figure out the purpose. Johanna knew immediately what they were and wanted them. No problem. Her daughter Brianne loves turtles and someday they will be grace her kitchen...when she graduates from college! The extension cords are really nice, heavy duty and will go on the summer Mission Trip. Great price! Easter Barbie goes to her granddaughter. How sweet is that!

Johnanna's haul! Costumes $2 each. Pier One stacking ceramic turtle measuring cups $1. Outdoor extension cords $1 each (3 total) Easter Barbie in orginal box $3. 
Below are more of my finds. The child's sweater dress and white sweater are for Julia, my new niece for next year. The Ariel light up shoes are from the Disney Store, brand new still in original plastic wrap. Already sold them for $10. Nate gets the clothes and formula and I have picked the Estee Lauder items I want, so has Brenna and just waiting for Ellie to get home to take what she wants. The remaining items I will donate to the local homeless shelter. The green dress I will sell, hopefully!
All clothing was 50 cents each. New baby formula can $1 and 3 bags of Estee Lauder sample makeup (new)$1.50 for all. New Ariel light-up shoes $1

And that is all for this week folks! It was wonderful to "hunt" with Johanna and Babs and yes, Sophie the schnauzer was with us too. Breakfast at Cubbies made the morning complete as we caught up with our lives and compared notes on our finds. Life is good. 

Take care and happy bargain shopping everyone!


Thrifty Christy












0 comments: