Translate

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Racing at 0'dark thirty

Sooo, you really have no idea how much fun one can have at 5:45am. Only people who scramble out of bed at the ringing of an alarm clock on a cold, dark Saturday morning to find bargains and treasures know the thrill of finding that special deal or exactly what they've been looking for. 
Yesterday morning I found myself "racing" beside Crissie to a church yard sale that started at 6am. No one on the road but we two crazy women pretending to speed down the highway to get there before the other. And I let Crissie win. We have way too much fun. I was hoping it would be indoors: lights and heat are much appreciated on these extra early sales, but alas, it was in the parking lot with little light. Was I happy to have my head lamp! First thing I spotted was the  storage bin organizer pictured below. The most of the bins were filled with small toys and I wasn't interested in those. The price for the unit was a good but I had to take the toys too. And I did. Later I went through and picked out matchbox cars I will save for our grandson Nate and the rest I am giving to the local Salvation Army. I bought it to resell thinking I could get about $25 for it. Later however, I realized it was missing about 4 bins and so decided to settle for $20. And that is what it went for. Already sold

$10
I also found the two nesting baskets, the 3 Scentsy cubes, and a dog bed shown below at the early sale. Baskets and Scentsy cubes have already sold as well. The dog bed will be sold too, I think. Our new adoptee dog, Honey, arrives in April and I may hang on to the bed for her. I have one that Ellie gave me that is fuller but this one being more flat, might work well for traveling in the car and when visiting. The bedding was very nice and I like pink toile material. Pretty fancy for our new girl!
Baskets: $1, Scenty cubes: 25 cents each. Dog bed: $2
I thought the math development game below was going to be a good find for my daughter Brenna's kindergarten classroom. Wrong. More for adult to child instead of larger group. It's a well made game and comes with instructions to play at different levels. Called Jelly Beans. Trying to sell it on the FB yard sale site with no takers yet. Sigh. Quality game, made in the USA and no one is interested! Agh!

Game: $1
Yes, another booster seat. Yeah, I know, you are all probably tired of me showing pictures of kid's seats but, hey, it was put on my family want list, I found one and so it is blog worthy. This one goes to Lindsey for my great nephew Beau to use at my brother's house. Beau has a place at the counter now with this seat.

$5
More for Beau, my one year old great nephew. Hats for the summer, which will be here before we know it. All the hats below are by Wee Swim and provide protection as well as under the chin straps and quick drying. The wooden train is for grandson Nate. Wooden toys are on his mom's want list and this fits the bill. Sorting train by Ever Earth. Well made, quality toy.

Hats: 50 cents each. Train: $3
Yes, more rollers!! These have already sold on the FB Yardsale group page. And now Brenna wants me to sell the ones my find last week replaced. Gotta keep these ladies curly, I suppose.

Rollers: $2
The clothes I am going to have to sell since they are too small for Nate. Someone is already asking about the Ralph Lauren pants. I am going to wait to sell the shortalls until summer gets a little closer. I couldn't resist the cute outfits. For the price! The kick mats are something I wish we had when our children were growing up. I have already sold those. I offered the car seat shade to Brenna but she declined. Will try selling again, closer to summer. Of course when the weather heats up, Brenna might change her mind.

All clothes were 50cents each. Sunshade: $1. Kick mats: $1
I again was finding things I could sell. So I picked  up the item below as soon as I saw it was real wood and in excellent condition. It is shelf unit with knobs as clothes hooks. Already sold.

Shelf: $1
I love this game and hope to pass it on to someone else who wants a fun, family game. Great condition with all the pieces.

Game: $1
This little lawn mower goes to Beau is walking and wants to imitate Dad. It doesn't do a great job of cutting but it will keep Beau occupied and entertained and that's important too.

Lawn Mower $5

And last week I neglected to take a picture of this 5 lb Kettle ball. There was a $3 sticker on it but I did ask if the seller would take $2. Yes, was the response and then she added there was an instructional dvd that went with it. She ran back inside and came out with the dvd. Nice!! I sold it this week. I was tempted to keep it but since I have back issues, decided to pass it on to someone else.

Tone Fitness ball with instructional dvd: $2

Last but not least is the tale of woe. Brenna had asked me to keep a lookout for a travel high chair for Nate. And lo and behold, I found one yesterday for $3!!! Just what she wanted!! Hooray.....I thought. Brenna tested it out so happy to have this only to find it was broken; broken in an unrepairable way. Important piece had been snapped off. AGGGHHH!!! On one hand, I am glad I didn't spend more than $3. But to come so close to getting something wished for is so disappointing. Oh well. The search continues unless they find one elsewhere. At least I know now to thoroughly test it out if I do ever come across another.
This is the box the seat came in but the seat is not the one pictured. The seating area was cloth,  not  rigid, and the table stabilizers were much longer and secure.
$3 but worthless because it was broken.
Johanna caught up with me around 7:30am and we "hit" around 5 more sales. I didn't get a photo of her finds but she did get some goodies. As usual, we ended our morning together with coffee (well, I had coffee) and breakfast and of course news of the week.
And so readers and virtual Yard Sale tagalongs, I will end now. As you can tell I am having fun finding items for myself and family but now really keeping an eye out for items to resell. At some point I will get to selling on Ebay but for now, keeping it local and not paying Ebay fees and dealing with shipping is keeping this gal simple. 
Happy bargain hunting and have a great week. And if you celebrate it, Happy Easter!!

Thrifty Christy


2 comments:

nightshade said...

Hope you show us photo when Honey finds her new bed. Your family is happy to have such a shopper.
Hold off on more cards unless they are "too good to pass up"

Unknown said...

I will definitely take a picture of Honey in her "new" bed. I think she will like it and look fabulous on it. No more cards. I got it.