Translate

Monday, March 31, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Rain was in the forecast and it wasn't a mistake. At 5:15 I woke up, blearily turned off the alarm, stumbled quietly out of the bedroom and looked outside. Rain was falling and I knew it wasn't going to end soon. But my friends wanted to soldier on and by golly we did!

 Johanna was feeling the itch of thrifting and had been put off for too long. Patty hadn't been in years and asked to join us. Of course "yes!!" was the response. And it wasnt just because she offered to drive her van. We're not that easy. Actually, yes we are. Well, I am at least! I love company when thrifting on Saturdays and always say yes. And offering to drive your van, well, that's just the cherry on top!

Johanna had on her zebra rainboots, Patty had on her Teva sandals and I, well, I had on boat shoes. I was still hoping the rain would end and I left my rain shoes in my car, forgotten under a pile of bags. We set out knowing there was only one 6am sale and nothing else until 7am. We had decided to have breakfast in between the early sale and the others; arranging to meet my daughter Brenna and her friend Sarah at the early bird sale and breakfast.

Wouldn't you know the 6 am sale was "postponed". Yes, Postponed was written on a small sign on the porch some distance from the road. We couldn't even see it until we were at the steps. Dripping. Disappointed. Sigh.

So off we went to McDonald's and there Johanna, Patty and I sang Happy Birthday to Brenna as she slogged through the door. Oh, she tried to get us to hush but not a chance. Not with an audience of one customer! And it paid off. She got a free oatmeal. See, good things sometimes happen on wet Saturday mornings.

Thankfully that was the only canceled sale of the day. All the others had garages and were opened for business. First stop was a friend of mine's sale. Initially a couple of neighbors were supposed to have theirs too but alas, her neighbors had no garages so she was the only one selling that day.
I was looking for beach chairs for my niece Kelley and bought these as soon as I entered the garage.

$11 for all

Then I plunked myself down when I saw a box filled with, yes, children's books. I bought all the ones shown below, in really great condition. Most "like new". And they have already gone home to my friend Becky for her daughters. Happy daughters, happy mom and I'm happy to make a sale. And yes, she got a "friend's discount". Got to take of my Peeps!

25 cents each



This little bunny is hanging on my front door. Sweet isn't he?

Original price on tag: $9.95. I paid 50 cents
My niece LIndsey, an elementary school teacher asked me to be on the lookout for clipboards. Did she tell me how many? Did I inquire? No to each question. So when I found a box at a sale that contained around 20 I was taken aback. At 25 cents each and in new condition I didn't know how many to get! Tried calling but no answer. Agh! So after consulting with Patty and Johanna, I picked up 10. Done.


front and back of 10 new clipboards 25 cents each


This BIG pot is going to my sister Fran in Raleigh. She had asked me to buy big pots for her. I found one really nice one last year, but kept it for my Christmas cactus. So when I spotted this one, I was redeemed. Fellow said $8 when I asked but accepted my offer of $5.

Even the inside is deorated!
$5. Original sticker price on bottom was $17.95
This is a new, sealed puzzle I bought with resale in mind. Fingers crossed.


50 cents for the puzzle

Pausing here to give you a view of Johanna's goodies. The small light table is going to her craft room and the light fixture is going into her storage barn for extra lighting. There's lots more craft goodies tucked away in those bags.


Johanna's trunk shot

Patty's van after Johanna unloaded her haul. The big stuffed animals are going to Patty's grand dog, Nike. I believe he will have them destuffed in a short amount of time. I can't remember all that Patty picked up. But she seemed happy with her deals.

Patty's trunk shot

This game is cute with the pieces shaped like tires. I considered keeping for Nate. Really I did. But my Grandma Stash is getting filled and until he outgrows the ones I have now, well, nothing else is going to add to the pile. I have someone interested in it at $5. If it sells, ok. If not, well, maybe I can sneak it into the attic until he's old enough. It's the firetrucks that he loves that make me pause.


50 cents
The baseball batting helmet is sold already to a coach. Not a great profit but I'm happy it's a good deal for his team. Super nice fellow and the helmet was in great condition. Only missing the mask.


Bought for $4. Sold for $10
I also found some lighting fixtures for my attic that Johanna is going to help me set up and some other odds and ends. Altogether a fun morning despite the rain especially since the sales on our route didn't cancel. Brenna and Sarah also found some good deals and it was good to "shop" together. They hit a couple of sales we didn't and recomended one that I had deemed out of our way. Glad we took their advice. That's where Johanna got her table and I found the helmet and clipboards.

The weather forecast is looking good for this week and Saturday sales should be plentiful.
That's it for this week. Hope you stayed dry, found some deals and bargains and maybe had a taste of Spring in your area.

Thrifty Christy

0 comments: